SPS Dominant tank with Kessil A360W-E

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have made the switch from my old brand to the Kessil A360W-E on my SPS dominant tank. The tank is a 60g Cube 24*24*24 and almost all of my corals are near centered between 8 and 12" below the surface around a live rock stack. Question is the settings to apply to the controller. I have not ran Kessil before over this tank but have had a Hydra 32HD and a Reef LED 90 both at 100%. I plan to add a second Kessil as I've heard shading can be bad with these lights but with my formation I need to see it first.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil 360W's are probably the easiest of lights to program with the Kessil controller. You simply have a color option and an intensity option. Choose how blue or white you prefer and ramp up and down the color and intensity. Most start with a dim blue and ramp up for a couple hours to maybe 50 color and 75 intensity for 6 or 8 hours and then ramp down to blue again. These are just examples, intensities and color can be lower or higher obviously.

OP
OP
William Robinson

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kessil 360W's are probably the easiest of lights to program with the Kessil controller. You simply have a color option and an intensity option. Choose how blue or white you prefer and ramp up and down the color and intensity. Most start with a dim blue and ramp up for a couple hours to maybe 50 color and 75 intensity for 6 or 8 hours and then ramp down to blue again. These are just examples, intensities and color can be lower or higher obviously.

I guess I am more wonder the strength as compared to the other lights I have. Programming is a cinch after dealing with any A.I. light lol With both basically both the other lights ive ran I was thinking of just going to 85% day 1 and then 100% day 2 since they seem to be the same.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will be fine and satisfied. I have 4 and a 160 over a 90G and love my tank.
20200228_154536.jpg

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't overly strong on light but probably still make a hot spot right below them I'm assuming. No one can tell you what to set your light at. How high off the water you place it, how tall your rockwork is plays a factor. Having a par meter would be handy as well. If you're going SPS dominant than most will mention adding T5s (it's like automatic these days) and even another Kessil.

OP
OP
William Robinson

William Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren't overly strong on light but probably still make a hot spot right below them I'm assuming. No one can tell you what to set your light at. How high off the water you place it, how tall your rockwork is plays a factor. Having a par meter would be handy as well. If you're going SPS dominant than most will mention adding T5s (it's like automatic these days) and even another Kessil.
This is an established tank, the measurements you mention are in the first post. I am switching this from another brand. Ive had a Hydra 32HD over it and a ReefLED 90. Was looking to see if anyone had any warnings on the power from those to this one. Looks to be the same as far as power, just better color. 100% it is :)

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see where you mention how high off the surface you are placing this light but it's not real important. A single Kessil is not very powerful. As HB AL posted above, 5 Kessils over a 90 with a lot of SPS sounds about right.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back