SPS dominant WB frag 55.2 & 40gal soon to be 120gallons!

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Marking the end of another month. Happy to join in the #Bloodbankbattle here on R2R. Got a handful of new corals from Adam at battlebox as well. Ill be getting full tank shots tomorrow to update the tank progress.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully im getting past the little dino bloom ive been dealing with for the last week while I've had covid. Nutrients are finally starting to climb and I'm running pretty much 0 filtration on the tank for now until I get back to where I want to be. Took my filter floss out, skimmer has been off for a few days now, dosing Neophos and neonitrate, feeding reef roids nightly, feeding phyto every morning. It's like the tank has been sucking up everything I put into it lately. Starting to see a green algae bloom in the frag tank so things are looking more promising.
20220904_125920.jpg
20220904_125928.jpg

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos got a little worse but I'm hoping that im rounding the corner. Nitrates at 1.93 phosphates undetectable. Doubling down on my doses of neonitro and neophos to hopefully move these levels up a bit quicker. Notrates are currently only rising about .33 a day. Going to vacuum out another dino matt from the sand tomorrow and test everything again. Luckily so far corals are still unaffected.

20220906_172715.jpg

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally on the tail end of my dino outbreak. N0³is at 5 but still no detectable phosphates. Im going to continue dosing nutrients and phosphates until I get back to a comfortable spot them ill get my skimmer running again. Only 19 more days until I add in another clown and a 6line from my quarantine system. I think both of them will be headed into the main tank.
20220911_180305.jpg
20220911_180329.jpg

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220915_182125_390.jpg

Pink Cadillac during a waterchange last night. Dinos are almost all cleared up now if I could just get my alk to stop fluctuating so much we will be back on easy street. My Hanna checker was reading almost 2points too low. So my alk ended up getting dosed until the checker told me it was 8 but it was actually 10dkh. Little more tip burn and I think I've probably lost one of my bigger maricultured colonies. Hopefully the watetchange helped get things back near normal. Full rounds of testing later today and hopefully the doser will be back on track by the middle of this next week.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really bummed out thismorning. Finally got my alk numbers back in line and my green millepora colony started to RTN early this week. I chopped off the base of the coral and the branch that had already lost all its tissue and glued the 2 good halves of the coral back down. That stopped the RTN issues with that. Now today I stayed home from work due to a bad sinus infection and the pink mille colony started RTN from the base as well. To say the least, this is frigging heartbreaking to have to rip apart such a nice colony in an effort to save it. I haven't suffered losses this bad since i first started adding corals and lost almost everything to dinos. I Used up all my spare frag plugs and everything is done. I honestly don't know whats going on. My alk is stable at 8, nutrients are at about 5 and still rising, phosphates still unreadable and im starting to have more Turf algae take over after dosing so much. Im left wondering if this is all due to the big alk swing a couple weeks ago or if something else is causing these issues to continue.

New rodi filter cartridges show up today and im going to get those installed right away.

Feeling pretty down after all of this.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post destruction, these were the biggest parts i could save all glued to the same base in the main display now.
20220921_131328.jpg

And the results in the frag tank. Very dirty glass rn. Ive got a lot of worried that the pink colony in the back may be next....
20220921_131340.jpg

kiet_kat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear. I'm going through issues as well. Went from good growth, great PE to barely any PE and growth slowed to a crawl. Used to heal from fragging within a few weeks. Been dosing nutrients as well as mine was also undetectable. I'm going to be testing for Chlorine in RODI once the test strips come in. Since a few local reefers have reported chlorine present in their RODI storage

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a long needed update...
The RTN has stopped, lost all but one of my maricultured colonies and a couple aquacultured frags that I had grown out in the last year. I keep reminding myself that things are looking better every day but it was still a tough couple months of loosing corals. Ive decided to slow down and focus on weekly waterchanges and stability. I also picked up another fish(one of my favorites ive been trying to hunt down for some time.) that will be temporarily homed in the frag tank until I can get my next tank upgrade this coming year.
IMG_20221104_175237_140.jpg

20221105_171407.jpg

xiaoxiy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read about the issues and losses. Mariculture colonies are pretty hard to keep as well, so I wouldn’t blame yourself too much. Great job beating the Dino’s back.

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to read about the issues and losses. Mariculture colonies are pretty hard to keep as well, so I wouldn’t blame yourself too much. Great job beating the Dino’s back.
Yeach they can definitely be tricky. Still not sure what did mine in but I've still got one going strong. Im by no means turned off from mariculture. Just going to take a break before I bring any new ones in.

Skeeter4890

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow you on Instagram and am a fellow Northern Michigan soon to be (hopefully) reefer. Just set up my waterbox cube 20 Saturday started the cycle yesterday with Dr. Tim’s one and only so hopefully in a couple weeks I’ll be adding fish!!!!

OP
OP
Tonycass12

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow you on Instagram and am a fellow Northern Michigan soon to be (hopefully) reefer. Just set up my waterbox cube 20 Saturday started the cycle yesterday with Dr. Tim’s one and only so hopefully in a couple weeks I’ll be adding fish!!!!

Congrats on your new tank! Let me know when you get things going smoothly if you are close to thompsonville at all I may have a few corals to give you for some starters. Always cool to connect with some local folks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back