SPS Dying

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, my parameters haven’t changed...everything is on auto top off/feeder/etc. I don’t see any sign of pests...but my Sps Coral are starting to die. This happened before, I dipped the coral and it went away for a very long time. Someone said it was tissue necrosis, to try dipping but ultimately there wasn’t much you could do but frag and try to save some coral on the side.

I’d like to not lose my live rock which is almost completely encrusted with mystic sunset. Any advice on how to battle this is very much appreciated!!!

344CA8F1-7035-41EE-862B-082094F5C47F.jpeg 88B8C454-1EB5-46B1-B3E3-24C2705E9057.jpeg E19B945D-092D-498D-8FF7-D3E22B21512F.jpeg

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only recommend checking all your equipment thoroughly for rusting, or chewed/pulled out electrical cables. Check any magnets in frag racks and other magnetic devices like pumps or algae scrapers for swelling. Check your test kits are accurate. Check your alkalinity kit, 1.135 grams of sodium bicarbonate in 1 gallon ro/di water = 10dkh. Check for amperage/stray volatage in the tank.

Make sure no3 and po4 are not zero. Growth and health depend on it. Get an icp test if you can. Good luck.

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only recommend checking all your equipment thoroughly for rusting, or chewed/pulled out electrical cables. Check any magnets in frag racks and other magnetic devices like pumps or algae scrapers for swelling. Check your test kits are accurate. Check your alkalinity kit, 1.135 grams of sodium bicarbonate in 1 gallon ro/di water = 10dkh. Check for amperage/stray volatage in the tank.

Make sure no3 and po4 are not zero. Growth and health depend on it. Get an icp test if you can. Good luck.

What’s an ICP test?

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s an ICP test?
A company that will test your water for you. You need to sign up online and they will ship you vials that you then add water samples into and then ship it back to them. Once they test the water you will get notified via email and you can log in and see the results on the web.

Companies to look at are
Triton, ATI and a few other.

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with everyone. An icp test basically super heats your water sample you send to them and the colors it gives off tell them how much copper is in the water for example. They measure of a lot of other elements in your tank. So if you do it, you can say hey, why is tin so high? Maybe that's killing my corals. Or wow my calcium is actually very low when my kit reads normal.

Skynyrd Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an ATI water test. It will test your tank and ro/di. What are you parameters? Specifically salinity, temp, alk, po4, no3, ca, and MG? Inspect all equipment for rust or corrosion. Any stray voltage?

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from these responses I’m gathering that Tissue Necrosis isn’t caused by an uncontrollable bacteria we don’t know much about, but rather due to something being off in water quality? Thanks

Cory

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually sps issues are related to water parameters being bad yes. Not unless you are dosing a carbon source would i suspect bacterial. I once had a birdsnest die rtn completely in one day from a stran of hair alge get tangled in it. The sugars in hair algae killed it imo.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS super sensitive to flux in heat and nutrients, I can’t see your numbers, so hard to give any other input.

loui

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was having an issue with one of my tank and was at my wits end. I ended up finding my skimmer propeller was rusted (ICP test didn't show heavy metal contamination) After replacing the skimmer all together some nasty yellow stuff started being pulled out and now the tank is back on track.

OP
OP
JCRove06

JCRove06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m going to try a coral RX dip. I did a treatment a while back and it helped. I think I did it with coral Rx vs the iodine treatment I just applied with limited success. I’ll update post after I find time to do it. ‍♂️

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back