SPS fading color

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have multiple different small colonies as well as mixed LPS. I have noticed that the acros have started to fade. I have been direct feeding them with small amounts of reef roids once a week.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity-1.025
Cal-420
Alk-9.2
Temp-78
PO4-0.02 hanna ULR
NO3-1

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those all look fine. Is the tank young... less than a year? If so, then you just probably need to wait. If not, then what about lights?

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those all look fine. Is the tank young... less than a year? If so, then you just probably need to wait. If not, then what about lights?

I have a 27 gallon and dose two part b-ionic. Tank is 3 years old and running a hydra 26

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you go without changing RO carbon filters. Maybe a chlorine issue getting into the tank

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you go without changing RO carbon filters. Maybe a chlorine issue getting into the tank

I usually change them all when my TDS meter shows anything except 0. My lps looks amazing right now

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know chlorine can get threw a tds meter and still register zero

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do know chlorine can get threw a tds meter and still register zero

If chloramines are a concern there are commercially available free/total chlorine test strips you can pick up and check your water.

Have you checked PAR? Your alk is a little high at 9.2 for those low-ish nutrient numbers, maybe try a little extra feeding to bump those numbers up and see how your tank responds?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters are similar to mine but I have my Alk at 7.9-8.2 thoughout the day. Since your nutrients are Low you may want to consider bringing the ALK down to the 8.3-8.5 range over the course of a week. I've had sps pale when i first added them and I thought it was nutrients but it was just too much photoperiod and light intensity. Corals zoozenthelle will pale when they are given too much light and lack of nutrients. If your running GFO remove it. I've had plently loses and I can only pinpoint most of them to me not having enough patients to acclimating the corals to my tank lighting slowly. I used to just say "they'll adjust on their own" but sps can't close up like softies they will be burned alive and once they go its difficult to bring them back. Hope this helps.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters are similar to mine but I have my Alk at 7.9-8.2 thoughout the day. Since your nutrients are Low you may want to consider bringing the ALK down to the 8.3-8.5 range over the course of a week. I've had sps pale when i first added them and I thought it was nutrients but it was just too much photoperiod and light intensity. Corals zoozenthelle will pale when they are given too much light and lack of nutrients. If your running GFO remove it. I've had plently loses and I can only pinpoint most of them to me not having enough patients to acclimating the corals to my tank lighting slowly. I used to just say "they'll adjust on their own" but sps can't close up like softies they will be burned alive and once they go its difficult to bring them back. Hope this helps.

This is sage advice. I agree.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The GFO has played a huge role in keeping algae at a minimum.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The GFO has played a huge role in keeping algae at a minimum.

If you’re starving out algae you’re likely starving your coral, as well. Algae should be controlled with herbivores and CUC, in my opinion. The best thing that I have done for my tank is increasing algae eating species and limiting the use of methods to decrease nutrients.

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is pretty spot on. High alk and high light with low nutrients equals pale acros. I agree, lower alk. But do it very slowly over the course of a few days minimum. Drop to around 8.0- 8.4 and should be ok. Color wont come back over night. Feed your fish well. Add more fish if needed. However, no need to feed sps corals. Fish poop does that. IMO, broadcast feeding causes algae. Just be carefull. Dont change to much to quick. Wait for your adjustment to take place. Watch nutrients going in.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is pretty spot on. High alk and high light with low nutrients equals pale acros. I agree, lower alk. But do it very slowly over the course of a few days minimum. Drop to around 8.0- 8.4 and should be ok. Color wont come back over night. Feed your fish well. Add more fish if needed. However, no need to feed sps corals. Fish poop does that. IMO, broadcast feeding causes algae. Just be carefull. Dont change to much to quick. Wait for your adjustment to take place. Watch nutrients going in.

I failed to mention it's a 27 gallon so things change faster than normal

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i am using zeovit and i have been running alk at 6.61 and no3- 5ppm and po4 at 0.06ppm . Radion running at 65% AB template . the sps kept getting alage on the body for whatever reason , SSC - green have dropped and other corals pale looking . is it too much light ?

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being a 27 gallon, how frequently do you dose? My Acro's grow like crazy in my 120 Display but if I frag and place any of them in my 29 long they will not live. My small tank the parameters run the same as my big tank but only dose once a day and find that the Alk swings are change to much just dosing once a day. I can only get LPS, Monti caps and stylopora to grow in my small tank and it has been up and running for 4yrs.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 60 50.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 65 54.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 29 24.4%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.6%

Back