SPS fading color

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am using zeovit and i have been running alk at 6.61 and no3- 5ppm and po4 at 0.06ppm . Radion running at 65% AB template . the sps kept getting alage on the body for whatever reason , SSC - green have dropped and other corals pale looking . is it too much light ?

What size is your tank?
How far are your lights from the upper most coral in your tank/Or water surface?

If you have a PAR meter that will help as well to understand just how much light intensity your corals are getting. To give you an example my 120 Gallon display 48x24x24 my Radion Pros running Wide Angle Lenses are 9" off the water surface. While Running at 50% intensity and low nutrients, I'm getting anywhere from 350-450 PAR.

My PO4 runs between 0.02-0.05ppm and have not tested for NO3 in quite some time. As for some of the other parameters, I run my DKH 6.9-7.1 and Calcium 430.

At one point I was running my Radions at 69% and I was battling Brown plaque algae. After turning my lights down to 45%, I was able to address my algae issue and it has all but completely gone away.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had successes with SPS growth and dose 4mL of both alk and cal 1mL-4 times daily.

IMG_8183.JPG

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I need to breakdown and do the same. Manually dosing clearly isn't working due to the swings I get in such a small tank. My 120 runs a GHL 4 pump doser.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I need to breakdown and do the same. Manually dosing clearly isn't working due to the swings I get in such a small tank. My 120 runs a GHL 4 pump doser.

Ya I just do a lot of water changes too. 5 gallons every two weeks. Oversized skimmer helps a lot too

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is your tank?
How far are your lights from the upper most coral in your tank/Or water surface?

If you have a PAR meter that will help as well to understand just how much light intensity your corals are getting. To give you an example my 120 Gallon display 48x24x24 my Radion Pros running Wide Angle Lenses are 9" off the water surface. While Running at 50% intensity and low nutrients, I'm getting anywhere from 350-450 PAR.

My PO4 runs between 0.02-0.05ppm and have not tested for NO3 in quite some time. As for some of the other parameters, I run my DKH 6.9-7.1 and Calcium 430.

At one point I was running my Radions at 69% and I was battling Brown plaque algae. After turning my lights down to 45%, I was able to address my algae issue and it has all but completely gone away.

my tank is 4x2.5x2 ft peninisula tank . the top most coral is around 12 inch from the water surface

Coronus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i am using zeovit and i have been running alk at 6.61 and no3- 5ppm and po4 at 0.06ppm . Radion running at 65% AB template . the sps kept getting alage on the body for whatever reason , SSC - green have dropped and other corals pale looking . is it too much light ?
I would have to say alk is a little low. 7 DKH is consistent with most natural seacwater however keeping it alittle higher is always good. I keep mine at 8.4. If algea is growing on it, it is growing on dead parts of the acro. May I ask how old the tank is and what size and how many fish?

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have to say alk is a little low. 7 DKH is consistent with most natural seacwater however keeping it alittle higher is always good. I keep mine at 8.4. If algea is growing on it, it is growing on dead parts of the acro. May I ask how old the tank is and what size and how many fish?

the funny thing is that the alage always comes out on the 2 -3 weeks after i put them into the tank . my tank is close to 1.2 years old . 6 fish - 1 powder blue , 1 yellow tang, 2 yellow wrasse , 1 lunar wrasse , 1 nemo

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the funny thing is that the alage always comes out on the 2 -3 weeks after i put them into the tank . my tank is close to 1.2 years old . 6 fish - 1 powder blue , 1 yellow tang, 2 yellow wrasse , 1 lunar wrasse , 1 nemo

The higher you go the wider the light spread is going to be. Based on the BRS video they said 10" is probably max height for a 24" high tank. My understanding the G4 is as strong if not stronger with the two additional colors. My suggestion would be to bring your intensity down to 50% and slowly start raising it by using the Acclimation feature or slowly raise the intensity 1-2% every month until you see your Algae go away and your Acros reacting to the change in light intensity.

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The higher you go the wider the light spread is going to be. Based on the BRS video they said 10" is probably max height for a 24" high tank. My understanding the G4 is as strong if not stronger with the two additional colors. My suggestion would be to bring your intensity down to 50% and slowly start raising it by using the Acclimation feature or slowly raise the intensity 1-2% every month until you see your Algae go away and your Acros reacting to the change in light intensity.

i have lowered to 35 % and monitoring now . at the same time i have remove the activated carbon from my system

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, just be careful going to low as you will have negative effects as well. Outside of Activated Carbon are you running any GFO or doing any sort of Vodka dosing or using NoPox or Hydrogen Peroxide?

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, just be careful going to low as you will have negative effects as well. Outside of Activated Carbon are you running any GFO or doing any sort of Vodka dosing or using NoPox or Hydrogen Peroxide?
i am using zeovit , dosing zeobak , sponge power

PM each other or make your own thread thanks

75pxatr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote to lower alkalinity. I changed my lighting recently to Radion and if I let my DKH go above 9, I start to see the top corals get pale. Every tank has it's own personality. With the intensity of the radion lights, mine does not like higher alkalinity.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 186 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back