SPS frags bleacing from bottom

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ! As of now, no i don't have nuisance algae... I clean my glass once in 4~5 days ... basically no algae issues ...

Thanks,

Stay safe and healthy !

There is only one way to test po4 properly in this hobby, buy a hanna ULR checker. Your alk is way high for your nutrient level...figure out what your po4 really is. I often see people list it as <1 because the color test kits are so high range they are clear for anything under <1. That is just way too large a number to assume everything is fine. There are people who are po4 starved and think they need to run GFO and then their corals die.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep... it is not rusted at all... I change that every month... I will take that off line

Thanks

Stay safe and healthy !

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only one way to test po4 properly in this hobby, buy a hanna ULR checker. Your alk is way high for your nutrient level...figure out what your po4 really is. I often see people list it as <1 because the color test kits are so high range they are clear for anything under <1. That is just way too large a number to assume everything is fine. There are people who are po4 starved and think they need to run GFO and then their corals die.

Thanks. Understood... Just placed the order for one in BRS. But does Po4 really bleach the SPS ?

Thanks

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Understood... Just placed the order for one in BRS. But does Po4 really bleach the SPS ?

Thanks
1.00 ppm, if that’s really what you have, could cause issues with slow growth and color but stripping po4 with chemipure and nopox with high alk will cause more initial problems. You have a lot to correct before you should add new sps. Get rid of the metal clamp, get a Hanna ultra low po4 checker, bring your alk down to 8-8.5 and stop the nopox and chemipure. Report back after you get an accurate po4 measurement.

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks
They will bleach from not enough p04 not too much, they are like sponges for n03 and esp p04. I dose p04 right into my ato container to continually drip in p04 for my acros.

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it does that’s prob the most important parameter to monitor next to alk if your serious about keeping acropora

Thanks ... But the SPS frag i am talking about is birdnest and purple stylo ...

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.00 ppm, if that’s really what you have, could cause issues with slow growth and color but stripping po4 with chemipure and nopox with high alk will cause more initial problems. You have a lot to correct before you should add new sps. Get rid of the metal clamp, get a Hanna ultra low po4 checker, bring your alk down to 8-8.5 and stop the nopox and chemipure. Report back after you get an accurate po4 measurement.

I am not complaining about slow growth... The frags dies in 2 weeks ... It start bleaching in second week and dies at the end of second week.

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will bleach from not enough p04 not too much, they are like sponges for n03 and esp p04. I dose p04 right into my ato container to continually drip in p04 for my acros.

Thanks. Let me check

Ling_Thing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ... But the SPS frag i am talking about is birdnest and purple stylo ...
1E5B3393-8620-4707-8E9A-4156AABB85B1.gif

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

Actually I just saw that you posted this is happening to stylo and birdsnest? That may be normal lol...I was just about to tell you that "bleaching at the base" of acros usually means the tissue is dead. :)

Post a picture, all of my stylo and birdsnest I have had in the past die off in areas where they are hidden from flow/light.

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I just saw that you posted this is happening to stylo and birdsnest? That may be normal lol...I was just about to tell you that "bleaching at the base" of acros usually means the tissue is dead. :)

Post a picture, all of my stylo and birdsnest I have had in the past die off in areas where they are hidden from flow/light.

Here is a picture ...

Stay safe and healthy

IMG_2085.jpg

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I skimmed through this thread. Lots of good advice regarding alkalinity and nutrients. Also good advice to lose the chemical nutrient control.
and yes birdnests tend to lose tissues at the base , they are terrible at encrusting. Also many people call birdnests as a beginner SPS , they are not for beginners . They are more sensitive than many acropora. Good luck

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally I am able to reduce my Nitrate and PO4. And my Alk at 8.00 dkh ... Pretty stable between 7.9 and 8.00 .. I am hoping to have some luck now ...

PO4 - 0.2
No3 ~ 1

IMG_2328.jpg

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally I am able to reduce my Nitrate and PO4. And my Alk at 8.00 dkh ... Pretty stable between 7.9 and 8.00 .. I am hoping to have some luck now ...

PO4 - 0.2
No3 ~ 1

IMG_2328.jpg
You gotta get that nitrate up, phosphate is also very high for my liking. 0.1ppm is about as high as I go before I use counter-measures.

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep... I might increase the feeding little bit. Currently feeding twice a day and reds AB+ for the corals.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep... I might increase the feeding little bit. Currently feeding twice a day and reds AB+ for the corals.
Yeah maybe back off the aminos a bit, that one does have phosphate in it I believe.

OP
OP
nanchil

nanchil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go ...

Alk ~ 8.2
Ca ~ 430
Po3 - .07
No3 ~ 3
Temp - 78 - 80

Still no luck with SPS or LPS ... What I am doing wrong ? These readings are stable. 20 % WC every two weeks ... Top of with ATO. Stopped Chemipure and NOPOX.

IMG_2727.jpg IMG_2726.jpg

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just noticed you only 3 hydra 26‘a on a 140 gallon tank. That’s not much light for sps in a tank that size.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back