SPS frags ... Decisions, decisions

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having a hard time deciding on which one of these local SPS frags that I should purchase ... something different & hoping that it's not going to cost too much at the same time :confused:

Thanks all!

RR ELektra.jpg

RRC LV.jpg

RRC Rainbow Splice.jpg

Jinko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Top one looks interesting, bottom pic looks cool, but does it really look like that under normal conditions.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy. All of them. You will anyway, no denying that!

OP
OP
Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 3rd SPS small colony is actually the Rainbow Splice acropora. Reefbuilders link: https://reefbuilders.com/2019/01/10/the-rainbow-splice-acropora-millepora-from-reef-raft-canada/

And as far as I know the owner doesn't Photoshopped his images as it's all shot from a decent underwater camera. All T5's & only one specific holding tank with Reef Brites LED's.

It's just he has some "magic touch" to coloring up sps. I've seen local reefers having problems coloring up their sps in their own systems and would therefore bring it back to the store to have it colored up again ...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen the pictures from his underwater camera and gets transferred and posted (smartphone) at the same time. Mind you most camera settings are usually different and with the addition of Reef Brites saturation plus viewing images in different monitors even with color calibrated monitors would never give you a true representation of the actual colors ... IMO. Not taking sides or anything and yes when I see them in plain eyesight, it's always less saturated.

OP
OP
Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the main reason why I don't visit the store as often is I always fall for these nice corals. It's incredibly tempting. :(:confused:

Nowadays I try not to buy too many stuffs as my old 90 gallon mixed system is running out of space. Window shopping is all I wanna do :D maybe.

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not questioning your knowledge but I don’t understand how you know that. Can you tell me what you see that tells you they are photoshopped?

The images have a greenish tint to them indicating the color balance has been played with or an unrealistic camera filter was used. It also looks like the green and red channels were bumped up in the third one. Buyer beware. If a picture looks too good to be true, it most likely is. To claim a picture comes straight out of a camera and is color accurate is also very misleading. With the blue lighting we use over our tanks, every photo needs some kind of editing to represent accuracy.

The biggest 'tell' in the photos above is the over exposure of color. Look and notice how some yellows and greens become a completely solid almost fake looking color. This is an obvious sign that the slider in PS was pushed to the max.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The images have a greenish tint to them indicating the color balance has been played with or an unrealistic camera filter was used. It also looks like the green and red channels were bumped up in the third one. Buyer beware. If a picture looks too good to be true, it most likely is. To claim a picture comes straight out of a camera and is color accurate is also very misleading. With the blue lighting we use over our tanks, every photo needs some kind of editing to represent accuracy.

The biggest 'tell' in the photos above is the over exposure of color. Look and notice how some yellows and greens become a completely solid almost fake looking color. This is an obvious sign that the slider in PS was pushed to the max.
Thanks!

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grabbed a quick photo from my library and added a sample of how over exposing/saturating a color can start to look solid. This was the result of 2 secs in PS. Notice how the rest of photo looks untouched and accurate. It is very easy to isolate colors and make a photo look much better than it really is. Easy money.

46908774464_bc83d2530f_b.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back