SPS frags ... Decisions, decisions

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the first 2 images are "common" Tenuis then what about these 2 sps specimens? Maybe a little different & worth consideration ...? Thanks

RRC Red October.jpg
RRC Tropicana.jpg
The lokani is nice. If their price is reasonable, I'd consider that one. However, keep in mind they are slow, slow growers

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on your level of sps experience, I would buy all of them or none of them. Rr corals are spendy! You need established tank, nutrient export, lighting, flow, and stable parameters along with a solid dosing and testing schedule. If your new, try easy inexpensive stuff like digitata or montis. Might I add dipping for pest control.

MARK M. DAVIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your a solid sps keeper, then all but don’t expect the same colors. Light spectrum and intensity play a big role. You must light acclimate for success. Most often you won’t see those colors for a few months to a year.

Will Wohlers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The third pic as been said is their new release grafted milli. Only 2 or 3 frags have been released 2 if I'm not mistaken and they were sold quickly with a $2500 price tag.

OP
OP
Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The third pic as been said is their new release grafted milli. Only 2 or 3 frags have been released 2 if I'm not mistaken and they were sold quickly with a $2500 price tag.

It's actually not a grafted sps but more like so called "Green Fluorescent Protein’ (GFP) infection. :)

OP
OP
Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the years I've purchased and collected a few RRC sps and the colours have stayed the way they are when first purchased from their store. My most recent acquisition was the RRC Magma which has stayed true to it's colouration ... so far. ;)

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's actually not a grafted sps but more like so called "Green Fluorescent Protein’ (GFP) infection. :)
This is correct. Dan Lacitignola at The Coral Kings got one, and has cut a frag for me which I will receive this week. The price is correct too (but not what I paid :) )

amashun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What .... well Hello!! How are you doing buddy?

And you're still around & it has been a very long time since we last spoke. I haven't "enquire" about the pricing ... yet! :confused:
hahah yes, i was taking a break and just got back into it last year. hope you are well too Paul.

OP
OP
Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahah yes, i was taking a break and just got back into it last year. hope you are well too Paul.

Hey Adrian ... I'm good buddy and hope you're doing well too. I'm not as crazy collecting corals as before but still not too far from it anyways :) But with a little bit of constraint ;)

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not questioning your knowledge but I don’t understand how you know that. Can you tell me what you see that tells you they are photoshopped?
Because it’s easier to add text with Photoshop than Lightroom

Clearly

High ICP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The images have a greenish tint to them indicating the color balance has been played with or an unrealistic camera filter was used. It also looks like the green and red channels were bumped up in the third one. Buyer beware. If a picture looks too good to be true, it most likely is. To claim a picture comes straight out of a camera and is color accurate is also very misleading. With the blue lighting we use over our tanks, every photo needs some kind of editing to represent accuracy.

The biggest 'tell' in the photos above is the over exposure of color. Look and notice how some yellows and greens become a completely solid almost fake looking color. This is an obvious sign that the slider in PS was pushed to the max.
I can change color balance and increase saturation in my camera

Take those acros into sunlight, they will look puke brown (all of them)

95% of photography is lighting. And those colors can be had by lighting without Photoshop or filters

Dugless

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can change color balance and increase saturation in my camera

Take those acros into sunlight, they will look puke brown (all of them)

95% of photography is lighting. And those colors can be had by lighting without Photoshop or filters

While I agree lighting influences coral coloration, it's misleading to say slapping a certain light on them will achieve the coloration in the photos in question. That is clearly not the case.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 65 34.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back