SPS frags ... Decisions, decisions

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would recommend getting all three as well. Very nice sticks!

I'm having a hard time deciding on which one of these local SPS frags that I should purchase ... something different & hoping that it's not going to cost too much at the same time :confused:

Thanks all!

RR ELektra.jpg

RRC LV.jpg

RRC Rainbow Splice.jpg

OP
OP
Sea MunnKey

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are we talking about the photos? The OP says they are local, so he can look at the frags personally.

I love the lokani too- probably the only one I would buy

Appreciate ... and yes I was getting opinions as to which sps pieces to purchase. On a side note I may re-visit the Lokani again ;)

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef raft undoubtedly knows what corals are rare and they have beautiful corals. They also keep great colors on their corals but the pictures are another thing, wether they just use a bad camera or alter the pics the “wrong” way or whatever, at least a number of their stuff ends up looking similar in peoples tanks.
I have seen some silly colonies of reef raft corals in friends tanks and they are amazing because they picked corals from them that are proven by aquarists and they use lots of good t5 light, which is what I have seen most of these corals do best under, color wise.
The Mille that has the green pigments in it I am a little unimpressed by, considering it was hyped to be this crazy rare coral by someone who is great at hyping stuff. I would be impressed if it was given (well sold rather) to aquarists and took off as a hot acro that way, but they had lots of help. There are tons of reefers on this board with much cooler acros species that have amazing proven grafts and they don’t charge such crazy prices. Like mentioned before, corals with this green pigment often end up loosing the color over time, doesn’t seem it’s been proven in anything other than a few tanks so time will tell but I wouldn’t pay more than 100 bucks for a frag like that. I payed more for an actual grafted piece from Copps. But who knows maybe this is the only acro that has literal nuclear green pigments in it?
The deep water piece is nuts and the only one I would consider rare. The tenuis I wouldn’t pay for but look nice, they also look like every other pink and orange polyp tenuis out there labeled as rainbow. They are all starting to blend together imo and have not been rare or hard to find for a while now, but still beautiful. The green piece that’s exploding with weird blurry flouecent color could be nice if someone sits on it I bet, that is if they get the orangish color to come out, which is quite hard for some people to get. I think frag in the picture above is very close to what it really looks like.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef raft undoubtedly knows what corals are rare and they have beautiful corals. They also keep great colors on their corals but the pictures are another thing, wether they just use a bad camera or alter the pics the “wrong” way or whatever, at least a number of their stuff ends up looking similar in peoples tanks.
I have seen some silly colonies of reef raft corals in friends tanks and they are amazing because they picked corals from them that are proven by aquarists and they use lots of good t5 light, which is what I have seen most of these corals do best under, color wise.
The Mille that has the green pigments in it I am a little unimpressed by, considering it was hyped to be this crazy rare coral by someone who is great at hyping stuff. I would be impressed if it was given (well sold rather) to aquarists and took off as a hot acro that way, but they had lots of help. There are tons of reefers on this board with much cooler acros species that have amazing proven grafts and they don’t charge such crazy prices. Like mentioned before, corals with this green pigment often end up loosing the color over time, doesn’t seem it’s been proven in anything other than a few tanks so time will tell but I wouldn’t pay more than 100 bucks for a frag like that. I payed more for an actual grafted piece from Copps. But who knows maybe this is the only acro that has literal nuclear green pigments in it?
The deep water piece is nuts and the only one I would consider rare. The tenuis I wouldn’t pay for but look nice, they also look like every other pink and orange polyp tenuis out there labeled as rainbow. They are all starting to blend together imo and have not been rare or hard to find for a while now, but still beautiful. The green piece that’s exploding with weird blurry flouecent color could be nice if someone sits on it I bet, that is if they get the orangish color to come out, which is quite hard for some people to get. I think frag in the picture above is very close to what it really looks like.
I have a piece of the RRC Rainbow Splice that you mention (the Milli with the green pigments). it is very small right now, but is encrusting fast. It is really turning into a beatiful piece, and is not only holding the grean pigments, but getting more. it is definitely one of my favorite pieces in my tank, and i have most of the "high end" Acros out there.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grabbed a quick photo from my library and added a sample of how over exposing/saturating a color can start to look solid. This was the result of 2 secs in PS. Notice how the rest of photo looks untouched and accurate. It is very easy to isolate colors and make a photo look much better than it really is. Easy money.

46908774464_bc83d2530f_b.jpg

I see what you are talking about in your photos, but *I* don't see that in the reef raft photos above.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a piece of the RRC Rainbow Splice that you mention (the Milli with the green pigments). it is very small right now, but is encrusting fast. It is really turning into a beatiful piece, and is not only holding the grean pigments, but getting more. it is definitely one of my favorite pieces in my tank, and i have most of the "high end" Acros out there.

I would love to see a pic of yours or anyone else’s, it is a nice coral, I am not trying to say it’s not. The green pigments can either fade or take over the whole coral, hopefully it stays like it is and everyone keeps propagating it. Not a ton of good grafts that hold the colors out there.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back