OP
D

dre_jcsutton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's wait until we have the exact plan together first. Should we cap this at like 20 entrants? Looks like we are at about 11 now.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be really cool to get some info on each entrants tank too when it starts as well as pictures along the way. Either that or the top 3 post up tank info and what their system is set up like.

Keep me posted please.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If whoever is going to take the reigns on this one would like to contact me about shipping this one, feel free to pm me.

To be clear, this will be a wild aussie colony. Just fully qt'd and well acclimated to captivity.

There are plenty branches to frag. well beyond 20 i'd say. Not sure if youd prefer to frag it and let them heal before you start the clock.

Either way i am more than happy to supply the acro colony

Thanks

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battle.....thank you much man. My thought is to cap at 20 or 30....no more. System specs would be awesome as we might learn the secret to growing a specific coral

OP
OP
D

dre_jcsutton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to create a spreadsheet of every entrants tank size, water params, lighting and other variables. If we have a statistician on board, we could analyze the data after and run some super nerdy regressions to determine statistical factors behind the best growth.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to create a spreadsheet of every entrants tank size, water params, lighting and other variables. If we have a statistician on board, we could analyze the data after and run some super nerdy regressions to determine statistical factors behind the best growth.

I'm not a statistician but I am well versed in mathematical techniques and curve fitting, my PhD revolvers around the development and implementation of a mathematical material model that handles grain rotation, and validated by experimental data. Development of this model required me to derive the dependency of material response due to various microscopic properties via experimetal data (spreadsheets)...I might be able to analyze the data for you.

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how much is going to cost. I totally agree with the using displacement as the measuring choice. It'll also be interesting to see different ways that the colors change in each system.

CUNAReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you combining this with the Michiganreefers growout challenge? :bigsmile:

http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/sps-keepers/125265-sps-growth-challenge.html

Would anyone want to participate in an SPS growth challenge? Frags from an identical colony, a 3 month grow out and users vote on the winners? Measure before and after with pics.

Sounds like we're leaning towards water displacement before and after as the primary method to assess growth. I think its safe to assume the buy-in would be between $30-$40 to account for shipping of the frag (assuming a colony is split and shipped to each person independantly), displacement cup, and ruler.

Battlecorals has expressed interest in providing the colony for the contest. No planned prizes from other vendors as of yet.

Update on Who's In So Far:
ca2or
chestnud
KLR
Tropboi561
luvmyacans
boxer
ebushrow
SteezySPS
bct15
turbo21
swannyson7
cdness
pitt

potentially:
kschweer

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 52 24.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 50 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 51 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back