SPS Growth Challenge - Anyone?

dre_jcsutton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would anyone want to participate in an SPS growth challenge? Frags from an identical colony, a 3 month grow out and users vote on the winners? Measure before and after with pics.

Kudos to Fragster from MichiganReefers for seeding this idea. Anyone local to Michigan should definitely enter that!

Sounds like we're leaning towards water displacement before and after as the primary method to assess growth. I think its safe to assume the buy-in would be between $30-$40 to account for shipping of the frag (assuming a colony is split and shipped to each person independantly), displacement cup, and ruler.

Battlecorals has expressed interest in providing the colony for the contest. No planned prizes from other vendors as of yet.

Okay, lets cap it to this list - it might get a little hard to ensure comparable frags from the same colony if we grow the list any more.

ca2or
chestnud
KLR
Tropboi561
luvmyacans
boxer
ebushrow
SteezySPS
bct15
turbo21
swannyson7
cdness
pitt
bonomo53
brahm
dkerns06
Crusader
nater
forrealb50
eaze333
kscweer
emartin
kschweer

Last edited:

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be and I have ran these before so can shed some insight

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This sounds like a cool idea!

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my local forums was looking into this type of contest.

Sounds interesting, I might would take a shot at it.

OP
OP
D

dre_jcsutton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the goal should be to make it affordable - at the same time using a good looking colony. I was thinking about buying a colony from a supplier at wholesale cost and splitting it up for everyone. That way, we can keep the frags cheap - like $10-$15 or so.

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another place to look at would be LA. They get in fairly nice colonies that some are priced at like $70 for a 3-4 inch colony. More expensive than a wholesaler, but just throwing out another idea.

Last edited:

bige

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a light a difference would also be interesting. T5, MH, LED.

SunnyX

ReefSite.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a good idea. But, in order to remove any inconsistency, the coral in question would need to be a known aquacultured frag such as ORA. A wild or maricultured acro would not be the best coral to use in a contest, as the results would be skewed. "Fresh" acros take time to acclimate to captivity, and will react and have varied growth rates based on the aquarium. Some reefers with the greatest of setups have a hard time with "fresh" corals.

A wholesaler normally would not have a large named acro available, as there is a higher demand for frags than large colonies. A local reefer or LFS may be the best option.

A Bali Green Slimer would be perfect for this contest. It has a proven track record, is relativity easy to find, and inexpensive. Many reefers give them away as they quickly outgrow a system. Any reefer with stable parameters, from the extreme to the novice, can keep this coral alive. It would be the perfect benchmark in order to measure growth.

Pictures of the Bali Green Slimer: Bali green Slimer - Google Search

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 9.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back