SPS Growth Challenge - Anyone?

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orp is out of the question. Not all of us have or can afford an orp meter. Other than that I'm totally down with bct15's list. I don't really want to have to buy nitrates, phosphate and ph tests though.

Last edited:

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few thoughts-

Since most of us are going to spend $40+ on shipping anyway, I wouldn't mind spending a little bit more for a nicer SPS.

I would take down as many parameters as possible, but make them all optional. The more data we can gather, the better.

That said, there is no way that we have a sample size large enough to make a statistically valid determination on coral growth, but it's still better than what we had before.

Water displacement is probably the best option for determining growth. I like the idea of sending the colony to one person who will frag it, mount it (on discs?), let it heal for a couple of weeks and then determine the size of the frags being sent to each person. Graduated cyclinders are very accurate and, as long as we run this long enough, we can overcome any small inaccuracy with growth to make it negligible.

CJ

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few thoughts-

Since most of us are going to spend $40+ on shipping anyway, I wouldn't mind spending a little bit more for a nicer SPS.
Couldn't agree more!

_sludgefactory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't want to go much more, i mean as it is we have a donate coral. If the price goes up much I'm out, I'm reefing on a budget over here.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Couldn't agree more!

I was beginning to feel the same way. The larger the scope of this was getting it seemed like a run of the mill colony was pretty lackluster. The one I had picked out came in as an ultra and is nice looking but it's no large aussie shortcake.

I am afraid I don't have any real stand out colonies large enough to meet the need of this one. My offer still stands for the aussie but I would not be offended in the least if you guys wanted to go with something fancier. My biggest consideration was that this colony was not fresh off the boat.

thanks,

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That said, there is no way that we have a sample size large enough to make a statistically valid determination on coral growth, but it's still better than what we had before.

CJ

I have to disagree with this, we will not know until we see the data but 20 to 30 datasets is enough to observe trends in data. If we have five datasets under the same parameters that all follow a similar trend we can assume a correlation between the parameters, however if we see a large scatter of data points then we can assume either no correlation with the data points or that there is not enough data. That is why it is important for everybody to log there parameters at the same intervals (samplerate), so a proper comparison can be made. My attempt will be to find a time dependence on specific parameters (comparative to material properties) rather than a statistical analysis as I feel that would be more beneficial anyway.

I can upload a video on how to do a simple water displacement test without a graduated cylinder if that is what ^we have to do.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We could also do a simple multivariable regression analysis to determine correlations to growth. Use SPSS or Minitab to create a dataset coding various types of lighting, various types of carbon dosing, etc. We'd probably have a fairly low Z score with such a small sample size, but we might be surprised by the results.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI I am on a budget as well so if it gets too expensive I may have to back off as well.

I think it would be cool with Battle's Aussie or even something as prevalent as a green slimer or something. Remember this is a growth contest, not find the next centerpiece of your tank contest... I have a feeling if this is successful, we may have the chance to do a few more of them and maybe take it up a notch...

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep....as price climbs interest diminishes. I still say a slimmer frag and $20 to $30 for entries....that has your shipping included. If it passes $40 total including shipping I will be backing out as well.

I don't understand the point of requiring parameters. What does it matter? I mean I can make it easy for you guys...

Salinity 1.024
PH ? Don't test
Nitrate? Dunno
Nitrite? Dunno
PH ? Dunno

You follow? I do not test. So I have no idea.....but spa continues to color and grow retardedly fast.....as does everything else.

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be cool with Battle's Aussie or even something as prevalent as a green slimer or something. Remember this is a growth contest, not find the next centerpiece of your tank contest... I have a feeling if this is successful, we may have the chance to do a few more of them and maybe take it up a notch...

I agree...this is what my goal was with mine....each following contest the pieces got a little nicer.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before this thread becomes a mess I'd suggest that the OP put the guidelines together and decide on a coral based on the input provided and start a new thread with that information.

Then everyone can decide, based on the guidelines/rules if they want to participate or not.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be more and more people interested in this. We need to cap off the list so we dont get confused on who is in and who is not. I'm thinking 20 people max on this.

bob

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand the point of requiring parameters. What does it matter? I mean I can make it easy for you guys...

Salinity 1.024
PH ? Don't test
Nitrate? Dunno
Nitrite? Dunno
PH ? Dunno

You follow? I do not test. So I have no idea.....but spa continues to color and grow retardedly fast.....as does everything else.

The reason for logging parameters is I see this as an opportunity to conduct some research. I can use each entry as a sub researcher helping me to compile data in the growth of sps coral and various tank conditions. This data can prove to be very beneficial to the reeding community and answer a lot of questions as far as what really matters and what doesn't, for instance put an end to the led mh debate, and the gfo or no gfo debate, or determine what ph is the most suitable, etc etc . There may end up with to much scatter or that there isn't enough data to discern the growth properties, but it is worth a try.

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before this thread becomes a mess I'd suggest that the OP put the guidelines together and decide on a coral based on the input provided and start a new thread with that information.

Then everyone can decide, based on the guidelines/rules if they want to participate or not.

agreed. Going to have to come up with the entry amount as well. Maybe battle can assist with distribution as well? If everyone's frag comes from battle we all have the same acclimation or adjustment phase ahead of us.

Seems a tad unfair if colony comes here....gets fragged and heals in my system then distributed for you guys to compete with me being that the coral would already be adjusted in my system

OP
OP
D

dre_jcsutton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting to hear from Battle - lets just hang tight for a bit, get all the options on the table, and then we can have some discussion in this thread about the final challenge assumptions. Once the majority is happy with the final assumptions then we'll start a new thread that documents the entrants, contest, etc. with those assumptions. Cool?

OP
OP
D

dre_jcsutton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Battle sent me pictures of the aussie. As Battle mentioned, its no stunner, but would be fine for assessing growth in the contest. I think we need to put some options to vote.

1) Use Battle's aussie - fragged into about 25 frags. Figure somewhere around $40 for contest entry (including shipping). If anyone wants to order extra corals from Battle, there would be no extra shipping.

2) Everyone independantly comes up with a green slimer frag (local or otherwise).

3) I buy a couple big ultra grade colonies from a wholesaler and frag them up. Maybe 2-3 nice frags per person. Figure somewhere around $70-$75 for contest entry (including shipping of the frags)

Let's socialize this. Thoughts? If someone wants to add a poll, that might be a good way to address this.

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • No

Votes: 118 76.1%
  • Unsure

Votes: 18 11.6%
Back