SPS help, no polyp extension

BigJohnny

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your number are just fine, nothing wrong there. If you wish to bring down NO3 then ~5ppm is a good number too but 10 is fine.

You have only had them a week or two? Give them time to adjust. Monitor your water, make sure you have good flow and light. Don't make any changes right now, wait and observe. Give them at least a month, some may never have great PE so that doesn't mean they are not doing well. Some corals can take months to acclimate fully, especially wild or mariculture corals. I wouldn't worry about PE at alll! These are just the first corals. Don't does anything crazy, add more food, or anything like that. Water changes, keep equipment clean/working, test water, check temps, random flow patterns. Keep the stability is more important than any PE.
This^

Gabaghoul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate preaching but you definitely want some good turbulent flow. That really is a must. Just as much as stable alk. I also think food does help, at least in my situation. I feed a whole host of foods - Reef Roids, Reef Chili, Coral Frenzy, ESV zooplankton, etc. everyday; and every other day I add RedSea Reef Energy A & B. Does it help? In my situation, it seems to. Corals are growing. I have decent coloration starting to kick in with the new growth and to your original question, I have some good PE. PE that I am happy with.
My nitrates are undetectable and PO4 runs under 1. Alk swings from 8.2-8.4. The reason it swings, I believe, is because, the corals are using it to grow. On days when I see the most growth my alk drops the furthest. Pretty interesting. Anyway, this is just me and my tank. Grains of salt for all my friends. :)

Oh and I agree. Pick a regimen and stick with it. Change sucks for SPS.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back