SPS NEWBIE HERE!!!!

CHUCKB973

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A8F87675-E7F1-4255-BB81-3CE40D501487.jpeg
Hello fellow Reefers!! I’m pretty new to reef2reef and I’m here to learn. I’ve been into salt water for about 2 years. I’ve never been really serious about it . I’ve always just had easy care corals and fish but I think it’s time to jump into the deep end!!! I’m building a 50 gal SCA cube. I plan on filling it with LPS and SPS. I will be running everything pictured and a GHL 2.1 SA (as soon as I find a good deal on one lol) I will be using ESV salt and BRS 2 part. Any advice will be appreciated,Can you all please share your parameters and light schedules for SPS. I plan on maintaining my alk at about 8.5-9 is this good or bad? Should I add anything else to my set up? Let me know thanks

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that looks like Christmas and make sure you keep the pictures coming

That alkalinity is fine

And welcome to R2R it’s great to have you!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS corals like quite a bit of light, quite a bit of flow and variable flow, low nutrients: nitrates between .5 and 5 ppm and phosphates between .005 and .03 ppm. The like stability above all else especially in alkalinity. I would say that an auto top off is a must.

The acropora tend to be that hardest. Montipora are easier. Birds nests, pocillapora and stylopora are easier than montipora.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy.
Looks like you are on the right track. $$$$$$$$$$$$$

OP
OP
CHUCKB973

CHUCKB973

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS corals like quite a bit of light, quite a bit of flow and variable flow, low nutrients: nitrates between .5 and 5 ppm and phosphates between .005 and .03 ppm. The like stability above all else especially in alkalinity. I would say that an auto top off is a must.

The acropora tend to be that hardest. Montipora are easier. Birds nests, pocillapora and stylopora are easier than montipora.
Thanks for your input I appreciate all the parameters you shared! I definitely needed some guidance on those. What do you recommend I keep my alk at?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back