SPS not looking great!

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope so :) I know PO4 being 0.01 is too low but right now my nitrates are 16. I’m curious as to how I can increase my PO4 but without increasing my NO3. Regardless, I’m not making any changes. I’m sure it will correct itself within time. If I have learnt anything from all of this it’s to not chase numbers. It is what it is.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/neophos-balanced-phosphorus-supplement-brightwell-aquatics.html
No3 and po4 act like a seesaw until they’re stabilized. If you dose phosphorus your no3 will drop a bit and vice versa

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I did not. I said most people dose incorrectly and by that I mean to much initially, don't test often enough to see how fast nutrients are dropping or use it when not needed. It's not a magic potion nor poison. But I digress.
Regardless, I also followed the instructions and I tested everyday. Maybe I could of tested twice a day but that doesn’t sound very user friendly. Or sps coral friendly. It was like a poison to my tank. I started using it and my sps slowly started dying.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regardless, I also followed the instructions and I tested everyday. Maybe I could of tested twice a day but that doesn’t sound very user friendly. Or sps coral friendly. It was like a poison to my tank. I started using it and my sps slowly started dying.
Not looking to debate, just here to help the OP. Used it with great success with like I said with SPS, LPS, and tridacna. Sorry it did not work for you.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reef tank was 75 gallons. Moved from biopellets to nopox for greater control. Replacing biopellets caused blooms and dealing with reactors was a pain.
Alrighty
Worked for you
Didn’t work for me
Or the OP

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to tell you, I ordered polyp labs the one. After you suggested it I looked further into it. I’m looking forward to using that :)
I think you’ll like it. The bottle comes dry, so you’ll have to add the R/O. I have it easier to fill the bottle about half way, shake for a couple minutes, then add a little more, shake shake, shake, add a little more, shake and so on until it’s full.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only good thing I like about nopox is the measuring cup it comes with. Works perfect for dosing the ONE.

OP
OP
Dan Kyle

Dan Kyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’ll like it. The bottle comes dry, so you’ll have to add the R/O. I have it easier to fill the bottle about half way, shake for a couple minutes, then add a little more, shake shake, shake, add a little more, shake and so on until it’s full.

That’s a lot of shakin’ my friend lol. Thanks for the heads up.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Some of the people who have chimed in @saltyfilmfolks and @DSC reef and @saltyhog are some of the must known and tried and true people here. Noprox isn’t a poison and for some it works wonders and others not so much. But as I posted there are very specific directions in order for this to work.

As others have stated this isn’t a fix all and it will work great for some and others it won’t. It’s easy to blame a chemical or this or that. But in reality, the number one reason our tanks have issues is because we as people mess with them. I can’t count how many times, I have messed with my tank. Most of the time I had success, others well I learned a hard lesson. The more we keep our hands out of them, and just stable and constant they stay pretty good. If we under dose them or overdose them it’s on us.

Yes we have to do basic maintenance on them, and I’m not saying not to by any means. But I will throw myself under the bus. I couldn’t keep doing 75 gallon water changes, the nitrates were climbing to fast. Which started when I was told 20-30ppm nitrates would be best. Well that way didn’t work and it came to lose my whole tank or dose the noprox.

Now if I had left it alone, I would still probably be doing water changes every two weeks and have saved about 6-8 sps corals and a few others. But I can’t blame a product or anything because I’m the one who starts it all. It’s the same with other corals that I have killed. My placement was poor, I can’t blame any one else.

The debate of who is right or wrong is pointless because we are all at a point where we want to save what’s left in the tank. Nobody likes losing coral or fish, or losing a system, but it would happen less if we would just enjoy them instead of messing with them.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Some of the people who have chimed in @saltyfilmfolks and @DSC reef and @saltyhog are some of the must known and tried and true people here. Noprox isn’t a poison and for some it works wonders and others not so much. But as I posted there are very specific directions in order for this to work.

As others have stated this isn’t a fix all and it will work great for some and others it won’t. It’s easy to blame a chemical or this or that. But in reality, the number one reason our tanks have issues is because we as people mess with them. I can’t count how many times, I have messed with my tank. Most of the time I had success, others well I learned a hard lesson. The more we keep our hands out of them, and just stable and constant they stay pretty good. If we under dose them or overdose them it’s on us.

Yes we have to do basic maintenance on them, and I’m not saying not to by any means. But I will throw myself under the bus. I couldn’t keep doing 75 gallon water changes, the nitrates were climbing to fast. Which started when I was told 20-30ppm nitrates would be best. Well that way didn’t work and it came to lose my whole tank or dose the noprox.

Now if I had left it alone, I would still probably be doing water changes every two weeks and have saved about 6-8 sps corals and a few others. But I can’t blame a product or anything because I’m the one who starts it all. It’s the same with other corals that I have killed. My placement was poor, I can’t blame any one else.

The debate of who is right or wrong is pointless because we are all at a point where we want to save what’s left in the tank. Nobody likes losing coral or fish, or losing a system, but it would happen less if we would just enjoy them instead of messing with them.
Do you have calluses on the tips of your fingers?
Or experience numbness in your digits?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of shakin’ my friend lol. Thanks for the heads up.
Be careful with products like polyp lab ONE. Your corals/tank will not deplete equal amounts of calcium, alkalinity, etc. Randy Holmes Farley has some intersting stuff on the chemistry forum about all in one dosing. He is a chemist and well respected so you can trust his honest opinion. For our reef tank we had to dose more alkalinity than calcium.

Last edited:

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with products like polyp lab ONE. Your corals/tank will not deplete equal amounts of calcium, alkalinity, etc. Randy Holmes Farley has some intersting stuff on the chemistry forum about all in one dosing. He a chemist and well respected so you can trust his honest opinion. For our reef tank we had to dose more all than calcium.
It’s worked perfect and balanced for me. Before I started ONE my alk would drop but my cal would either rise, with no cal dosing btw, or stay the same. Ever since I started ONE when my alk is 7.0 my cal is 400 and my mag is 1300-1350 everytime. It’s an awesome product for small to medium tanks. It would get pretty expensive for larger tanks though.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dan Kyle, sorry late to the thread. Could you please post a picture of your full tank?

Please bare with me, I'm just recovering from the flu and today has been a much better day.

How long has your tank been running?

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Chaswood79 I'm sure it works for some, just like nopox worked for me. It's still informative to warn the OP that he should be cautious and look into it as every tank is different. I would encourage him to do research.
Yeah, all good, I was a little concerned about it too. So much so that I did a lot of monitoring the first month. I couldn’t believe how balanced everything was for me. Thumbs up from my experience

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Dan Kyle, sorry late to the thread. Could you please post a picture of your full tank?

Please bare with me, I'm just recovering from the flu and today has been a much better day.

How long has your tank been running?
OP is from the UK, it might be past his bed time

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 43 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back