SPS reaction to UV

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after 2-3 years finally added UV to my tank. SPS and everything has been happy. Just turned on the UV and a couple of my colonies look like the attached pic. Any idea why?

BD0D484D-7520-418E-8CDD-6B344AAC3B7E.jpeg

OP
OP
SaracensRugby

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely nothing. That's the crazy part. Was just wondering if anyone else had seen this.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would say the uv sterilizer is making the water clearer allowing your display tank lights to penetrate the water more effectively

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would also say that since the uv bulb and ballast are not touching water, and with it being a new unit salt creep not a conductor, that stray voltage from the uv probably not the issue.
Maybe the uv and/or additional pump to supply it raised your tank temp

OP
OP
SaracensRugby

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fresh PVC glue on the plumbing so yes there; fresh being 3 days old anyway. Yes on GFCI I believe, my Apex is hooked up to one of those expensive Triplite surge protectors. And it kept tripping every time my heater went on. So took UV off my apex (which was plugged into triplite). I tried one of those grounding probes years ago, and my clowns started acting very erratic and jerky. Took the probe out, clowns back to normal. I have gone down the rabbit hole with the grounding probes reading different "electricians" argue that on here, but my N of 1 has me wary of that option unfortunately.

Foothill Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ground probes are good if on a ground fault circuit (gfci) I don’t think any of the Triplite stuff includes gfci it’s not the same as a surge protector.

I would get a gfci installed (if you don’t have actually one) and also check for stray voltage. Three day old glue is not a problem.

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup
Gfci paired with a ground probe is the only way to go, and then you won’t have to check for stray voltage because you will know likity split.
If you put a ground probe without a gfci you’re only completing the circuit

Jax15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW, if you don't want to install a GFCI at the wall socket, you can buy external ones. I bought a heavy duty one on amazon that I run my system through. Cheap and easy to install.. just make sure the one you buy has default state of ON and not OFF.

I don't think you need to worry about your colony. The filaments don't seem unnatural to me, although agree it would feel a bit concerning. If you haven't changed anything other than adding the UV, it's possible it's just a slight irritation to the dry PVC glue or maybe a coincidental response. If doesn't change after 2ish days, then time to reevaluate.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 26 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.3%
Back