SPS STN bugs?

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My WWC Yellow Tips colony has been slowly losing tissue for several months. Today I used my macro lens to get a better view of the border between healthy and dead tissue and discovered tons of tiny pods moving around. They are too small to see with the naked eye. I don't know if these are the cause of the problem, or opportunistic pods feeding on dead tissue.

Any ideas? #reefsquad

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bump,recommend this for dipping if needed ;)
WP_20200611_06_46_54_Pro.jpg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're also crawling on the live coral tissue; I can see several of them in just that short clip.
I don't know if these qualify as 'red bugs', but they might well be coral predators. At the very least I'm suspicious.
Bayer dip will be highly effective, but won't kill the eggs, and won't kill any elsewhere in the tank.
Dipping all of your acros might get rid of them, or maybe not. It's very disheartening to find potential coral pests.
If you use Bayer, be super careful. I'm about 99% sure that it is what killed many nice shrimp in 2 display tanks.
Even though I rinsed each coral twice after the dip, I think enough insecticide got through to off the crustaceans.
I've actually stopped using Bayer to prophylactically dip new frags, and gone back to CoralRx plus brushing/inspection.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer is the FIRST of my "Every new Coral frag get dipped" regime. And I've taken to heart not getting it into the tank. After Bayer is two other dips with dual stage rinses between each. (six total clean salt water dips)

Regime:
- 15mins dip in Bayer
- two separate clean saltwater rinse, with separate tweezers between each
- 15mins dip in MEcoral Dip
- 15mins dip in Revive

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bayer is the FIRST of my "Every new Coral frag get dipped" regime. And I've taken to heart not getting it into the tank. After Bayer is two other dips with dual stage rinses between each. (six total clean salt water dips)

Regime:
- 15mins dip in Bayer
- 15mins dip in MEcoral Dip
- 15mins dip in Revive
Dang
What dosages are you using with those long dip times?

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang
What dosages are you using with those long dip times?
Bayer, STRONG. 2-4 TBS / cup of water
ME coral dip, full dipper squirt / cup of water
Revive, 1-2 caps / cup of water

I'm usually dipping 1-8 frags, so I'm usually using 2cup containers to dip and rinse in. I like white porcelain, I think it's easier to see stuff that falls off. Except the Bayer - water is soo milky I can't even see the corals. Until I dump most water out, then can see anything that fell off.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm usually dipping 1-8 frags, so I'm usually using 2cup containers to dip and rinse in. I like white porcelain, I think it's easier to see stuff that falls off. Except the Bayer - water is soo milky I can't even see the corals. Until I dump most water out, then can see anything that fell off.
You don’t lose corals dipping that aggressive with revive? I had acros go in fine and come out with tissue falling off with revives normal instructions

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I cant bring myself to bayer although im convinced it works.
I use Revive or CoralRX and it will knock them down instantly. Then rinse coral in container with tank water and return to tank

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t lose corals dipping that aggressive with revive? I had acros go in fine and come out with tissue falling off with revives normal instructions
I haven't yet. I'll watch for it.

I cant bring myself to bayer although im convinced it works.
I use Revive or CoralRX and it will knock them down instantly. Then rinse coral in container with tank water and return to tank
I take Bayer Seriously. Keep it in its own plastic bag. Always wear rubber gloves, which get changed after pouring, after dipping, and everytime I take a pause. All utensils used get super hot water (and a touch of soap) wash, between each usage in the dipping process. I don't re-use the Bayer dipping container for the other two dipping steps.

So I agree with you, had to convince myself with some sacrificial corals - And then had to get some real bugs that needed killing, to convince myself it's okay. I'm over it now.

OP
OP
SuncrestReef

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're also crawling on the live coral tissue; I can see several of them in just that short clip.
I don't know if these qualify as 'red bugs', but they might well be coral predators. At the very least I'm suspicious.
Bayer dip will be highly effective, but won't kill the eggs, and won't kill any elsewhere in the tank.
Dipping all of your acros might get rid of them, or maybe not. It's very disheartening to find potential coral pests.
If you use Bayer, be super careful. I'm about 99% sure that it is what killed many nice shrimp in 2 display tanks.
Even though I rinsed each coral twice after the dip, I think enough insecticide got through to off the crustaceans.
I've actually stopped using Bayer to prophylactically dip new frags, and gone back to CoralRx plus brushing/inspection.

I appreciate your feedback. However, I should have mentioned in my original post that I already knew I have red bugs and have had them for about 2 years. During that time, none of my corals have shown any problems. The small white bugs in my video above are about 1/10 the size of the red bugs, in much larger quantities, and move way faster than the red bugs. I think these are very different.

Here’s a video I posted of my red bugs from over a year ago. In fact, the colony from this video is healthier than ever, yet still infested with red bugs.

I had a couple dragonface pipefish last year, but they never touched the red bugs. I can’t use Interceptor because it will kill my pistol shrimp and it’s impossible to trap my pistol shrimp without tearing apart my entire aquascape, so I’ve just accepted living with the bugs. But again, they don’t seem to be harming anything.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

wow, i use exactly half of your dose of bayer!! do double dip and swish also.1TBS per cup

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back