SPS stung - now rtn

Reedc200177

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a large sps colony that got stung by a Florida ricordea about a week ago because I stupidly didn't notice that the mushroom was growing too big.

What started as a maybe dime sized area being affected has spread to about the size of a quarter over the past week, and is still growing.

I don't know what to do - I don't want to lose this colony but I can't frag due to the structure of the base and where the damage is short of taking a drimmel and just coring out the affected area. I can pull this rock the colony is on and super glue, but I don't know if this is right either.

Any advice is appreciated!

20221022_114438.jpg 20221022_114432.jpg

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I view this as a mixed bacterial and ciliated protozoan infection. As such and assuming you can remove the coral, I would treat with an antibiotic (amoxicillin is easy to come by but ciprofloxacin may also work) and an antiprotozoal (metronidazole). In my practice, I also add doxycycline to the mix to treat potential Rickettsial infection. I usually dose the meds to apparent saturation (e.g. no more goes into solution).

These infections are presumed topical/localized to the wound, so I typically immerse the coral in an isothermal antibiotic bath for 30-90 minutes (but you could go longer with active aeration to prevent hypoxia). I typically see ~80% recovery/stabilization following treatment. If this fails, last ditch might be to try a clove oil dip. I have tried it and it has worked for me in at least one occasion.

OP
OP
R

Reedc200177

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have access to all those medications, but question, I can only remove the rock this coral is on, not the coral itself. Will this treatment have an effect on zoanthids or rock flower nems? Or coralline algae for that matter? Also odds of disrupting tank bacterial flora and causing a crash? Is there a method to just treat the affected area?

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't affect the other corals and will not affect the tank fauna. For an extra level of safety, rinse the rock/coral in fresh saltwater after dipping and prior to returning to the tank.

strawberryfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be able to safely chisel off a chunk with the colony attached outside the tank. Also you could saw/snip the part above the recession and glue it back down somewhere else. But those are the nuclear options. BTW Is that Oculina Robusta? If so, was it a hitchhiker or did you buy it somewhere, I want some badly.

OP
OP
R

Reedc200177

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may be able to safely chisel off a chunk with the colony attached outside the tank. Also you could saw/snip the part above the recession and glue it back down somewhere else. But those are the nuclear options. BTW Is that Oculina Robusta? If so, was it a hitchhiker or did you buy it somewhere, I want some badly.

Yeah it is, it was a hitchhiker on rock from gulf live rock

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back