SPS Tank Transfer Tips

Alex’s_Mini_Reef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 22, 2023
Messages
212
Reaction score
144
Location
Campbell
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this has been heavily discussed , but how many have successfully transferred tanks with SPS with new dry rock and establish media / rock in sump.

Backstory: I’m looking to upgrade tanks but only looking to transfer my sump media/rock and looking at buying a 30gallon container to add some live media with my new aquascape to seed the new rock and feed ammonia till I’m ready for the move.

How many have tried this and been successful, I’m trying to create a stable transfer to maintain my SPS someone happy and avoid some swings.
 
I've done some of that, just replacing my rockwork. I think it is totally doable albeit really difficult. The biggest problem is that the new rock will invariably grow algae and other benthic stuff, and while all that stuff fights for territory and to get back to equilibrium, there will be alk and nutrient fluctuations. If you can get your sticks to weather that, totally doable.
 
I've done some of that, just replacing my rockwork. I think it is totally doable albeit really difficult. The biggest problem is that the new rock will invariably grow algae and other benthic stuff, and while all that stuff fights for territory and to get back to equilibrium, there will be alk and nutrient fluctuations. If you can get your sticks to weather that, totally doable.
Thanks for the reply , It gives me a piece of mind. As Iv has started off with more forgiving lower light piece like anacropora and digitata so we’ll see how to they like the transfer
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new