SPS turning White/Brown - Need Help

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did try initially Bio-pellets. It didn't do any good.
Then tried Phosguard, didn't get to drop beyond 0.45. At last after using GFO it reduced. If this is going to hurt SPS, what product can I use.

Mine is a mixed reef with high in LPS and Softies. Only have a Stylo and Birds of Paradise in SPS.

Should I try Rowaphos or lanthanum
I did try initially Bio-pellets. It didn't do any good.
Then tried Phosguard, didn't get to drop beyond 0.45. At last after using GFO it reduced. If this is going to hurt SPS, what product can I use.

Mine is a mixed reef with high in LPS and Softies. Only have a Stylo and Birds of Paradise in SPS.

Should I try Rowaphos or lanthanum
This sounds so much like me between 2017-2018 when I got back into sps and was brainwashed that no3/po4 need to be X,Y. Stop worrying about them. All of your methods (freak outs) are killing your corals. Stop the gfo, bio pellets phosguard etc. All of those products are for HEAVY bio load systems probably with unwanted algae issues.

OP
OP
S

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds so much like me between 2017-2018 when I got back into sps and was brainwashed that no3/po4 need to be X,Y. Stop worrying about them. All of your methods (freak outs) are killing your corals. Stop the gfo, bio pellets phosguard etc. All of those products are for HEAVY bio load systems probably with unwanted algae issues.

Initially I didn't have any in my system. Eventually got my phosphates to 0.60 and got algae issues. That's when I started adding these. More brown algae started and now reduced after adding GFO.

In terms of nutrients I dose Red Sea A&B 12 ml.daily and Reef Trace 3 ml daily.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which reef trace? Red Sea trace colors abcd?
I would ditch all the additives. Stick with all and cal with a new sps reef. Once you start adding thag stuff you are putting in nutrients which aren't getting taken up by a full packed system. Water changes will fix everything for a new sps reef once it matures are starts to grow then you'll be adding alk and cal to keep it stable. Hope this helps

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should definitely stop the trace colors abcd if that’s what you’re dosing. All I do is feed my fish and water changes.

OP
OP
S

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give an update on what's going on.

After the suggestions, stopped GFO and removed it from my system slowly. Removed Activated Carbon. My phosphates are gradually increasing. After I removed to moved to 0.25, then to 0.38 then to 0.45.

But Two of my Stylo and Birds Best are Lot better now. But unfortunately lost two of Birds Nest during this period of GFO time.

I was always under the impression that Phosphates kill corals. But I see Phosphates reduction killed and phosphates increase is making them better. When they were doing good phosphates was 0.58. then added GFO and they started getting stress.

Just keeping my Calcium, Alk and Mag in line.
Cal - 460. Mag - 1390, KH - 9.3. Phosphates - 0.45
I use Hanna for testing. Any Thoughts.

Jon Warner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to give an update on what's going on.

After the suggestions, stopped GFO and removed it from my system slowly. Removed Activated Carbon. My phosphates are gradually increasing. After I removed to moved to 0.25, then to 0.38 then to 0.45.

But Two of my Stylo and Birds Best are Lot better now. But unfortunately lost two of Birds Nest during this period of GFO time.

I was always under the impression that Phosphates kill corals. But I see Phosphates reduction killed and phosphates increase is making them better. When they were doing good phosphates was 0.58. then added GFO and they started getting stress.

Just keeping my Calcium, Alk and Mag in line.
Cal - 460. Mag - 1390, KH - 9.3. Phosphates - 0.45
I use Hanna for testing. Any Thoughts.

PO4 can kill Corals...

But stability is key with these things. They'll be happier in crappy water for 6 months than a 24 hour reversal to "KZ ZEO System" water.

That's the whole hobby right there.

Reduce instability.

Have a 1.5 degree temp swing during the day? Figure out a way to keep it at less than 1 degree.

Have Alk swings? Figure out a way to reduce the swing via dosing, CARX, etc...

Lighting? Be patient. Turn up/down your LED's 1% at a time every week or 2.

Nothing GOOD in this hobby happens fast.

OP
OP
S

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I slowly lower my phosphates to acceptable number. Mine is a mixed reef. Lps, Softies and 3 Bird nest colony

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God is a coral killer. It’s so super effective that it will simply strip phosphates from the water and shock the coral. As someone else said stability is key, and nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
God is a coral killer. It’s so super effective that it will simply strip phosphates from the water and shock the coral. As someone else said stability is key, and nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.
Makes you think of all the little coral angels flying around in heaven. So don’t forget to say your coral prayers everyone.

OP
OP
S

SimbaAnto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the SPS, Still SPS is turning brown.

Parameters - Calcium - 440 , Mag - 1390, KH - 9.1 , Two days back it was 10.1 . Nitrate - 0( As per API) , Phosphates - 0.46 .

I also did a KH 24 hours test last week

Sep 7 - 8 Am KH 9.3, 11 Am - 9.1 8.30 PM - 9.1 ,10 Pm - 9.1

I am almost left off with 1 Birds Nest( Slowing turning brown and white) and 2. Stylo. Already lost 2.

Almost at a point that I will never have SPS going forward . Just go with LPS and Softies. Other Side LPS and Softies are growing and Branching.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back