Squeaky GHL doser 2.1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Ed. That's really good advice. My issue is the noise is getting worse and I'm worried of failure. And it's not a small amount of noise. I can hear it from my bedroom (small apartment).

Interestingly I have an IKS Vario Blue II heavy duty dosing pump for my ATO (rated for continuous operation). Its noise does not bother me as I barely notice it (whether it's the deeper pitch or just the lack of grinding).

Also, when splitting the dose with 'auto' in GCC, correct me if I'm wrong, but the dose can be split throughout the whole day into up to 150 doses? Only with manual dosing can I pick the times... but you can only pick it to run a few times per day in that mode?

I don't want to be dosing too much at once given my sps and small tank. The whole reason I got the GHL was to have absolute stability. If I wanted a handful of doses throughout the night while I slept, I could have just bought a jebao and been done with it. And I know the doser 2.1 can be quiet. When I first got it, I could sit next to it and barely hear it run as it dosed 0.3ml 150x a day. Now i have reduced its frequency by increasing my dose at the moment per event to 1ml 55x. Again, not something I expect to have to do given the way it's marketed.

There is a Neptune Apex distributor in NZ, so a DOS is an option, but I somehow convinced myself, given my german heritage, that the GHL doser would have been better after reading how noisy the DOS was.

If only I had got a doser 2 rather than a 2.1. Those seem to have few issues.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Here I how I have my Balling dosing
Setup.
eb94cdf1f8becf7f6e84f31a22a9e101.png

I it setup to dose 4 times a day with be getting the KH director soon so it will dose as needed then.
Ah the DOS is louder than what you currently have. [emoji3] My buddy has one for water changes.

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. 4x a day only? Seems a waste of money to use a GHL doser for that kind of frequency. Lol. At any rate, it does not assist with my issue.

I have just decommissioned my doser 2.1. It was grinding my gears (no pun intended) as I tried to do work at my desk. And I will make sure people know to buy multiple spare parts for it when they purchase it (motors included) and are aware of this potential issue before they buy it. Would hate for someone else to be as annoyed and frustrated by it as I have been.

I'd advise against trying new technology until it has been fully tested.

I am deeply disappointed with this doser. The replacement wear parts fixed the squeaking and made the unit quiet for a time, but now seem to have increased resistance on the motors, or the humidity has affected them. (70-80% relative humidity in my city - not sure if that is relevant?) As nothing changed in my setup other than new wear parts.

Sure, the original wear parts squeaked but the motors were at least quiet. Now the motors are irritatingly loud even with no wear parts in place. I wish I had done a video of when the unit was silent so you could appreciate and understand the difference. I will check my albums on my phone for a previous video...

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an aside, it seems GHL doesn't like me advising people to buy spare parts when getting a doser... removed me from the GHL Facebook group for sharing my experiences in a constructive way by suggesting that people make sure they get spares so they can swap parts out as required.

By way of example, all I said was:

"Do not buy a GHL doser if you cannot get the spare parts easily, or make sure you budget for replacement parts in your initial purchase."

Oh well... The silent solution:
a0ea5f36725251b5b599e91c8c3e68bb.jpg

alanjeffery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this thread, stinks when companies don't recognise issues with their products and then don't help in rectifying defective products. I shall be continuing to avoid spending my hard earned on GHL products.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a squeak out of the box on a couple heads but fixed it.
I cleaned the rollers, but the main thing was putting a little petroleum jelly on the plastic shaft of each roller.
Not the main shaft in the center, because you don't want that stuff getting on the outside of the rollers and tubing.
Been quiet for months.

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a squeak out of the box on a couple heads but fixed it.
I cleaned the rollers, but the main thing was putting a little petroleum jelly on the plastic shaft of each roller.
Not the main shaft in the center, because you don't want that stuff getting on the outside of the rollers and tubing.
Been quiet for months.

Useful info. Thanks. I’d try that if the motors themselves weren’t so noisy now.

Any tips for noisy motors?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips for noisy motors?
Sorry, I don't. :(
Mine are quiet and can only be heard if I open the doors on my stand.
Two heads were dosing (just switched to a calcium reactor though) and two heads run my auto water changes, 150x per day.

OP
OP
bubblemytip

bubblemytip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don't. :(
Mine are quiet and can only be heard if I open the doors on my stand.
Two heads were dosing (just switched to a calcium reactor though) and two heads run my auto water changes, 150x per day.

No worries. Worth asking.

One good thing about the doser being a fail for me is that since switching to a calcium reactor, growth and colour have been significantly better.

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i need help... one of the pumps .. number one is not turning. sounds like it is trying but no luck. new unit. other three work. GHL help

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.9%
Back