Squirrel's 40g CAD, my dream build

Reduck

^ His name is Trent
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm really pleased with how it turned out!

I do too, doesn't seem accurate. I'll post my results from tomorrow.

That's part of the plan for tomorrow, test with both kits on tank and fresh mixed saltwater.

Looks great. When in doubt, test everything! You are doing the right thing!

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that's a lot of mag drop . It's pretty normal for mag to drop during a tank startup . U didn't state whether u added the sand during the cycle or not . I for 1 did not cycle my rock n sand together . I didn't want the new sand to take up or release any excess nutrients . I did bump my mag way up with Kent Tech M during my initial cycle . I added sand in two increments . I am waiting to see your K results . I think RHF was doing a poll on K depletion and 2 n 3 part additions etc . I am curious if it's just part of carbon dosing being depleted by bacteria via export of the skimmer.

OP
OP
squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. When in doubt, test everything! You are doing the right thing!

Thanks!

I agree that's a lot of mag drop . It's pretty normal for mag to drop during a tank startup . U didn't state whether u added the sand during the cycle or not . I for 1 did not cycle my rock n sand together . I didn't want the new sand to take up or release any excess nutrients . I did bump my mag way up with Kent Tech M during my initial cycle . I added sand in two increments . I am waiting to see your K results . I think RHF was doing a poll on K depletion and 2 n 3 part additions etc . I am curious if it's just part of carbon dosing being depleted by bacteria via export of the skimmer.

I hadn't ever experienced that level of mag drop in any previous cycle. Could be attributed to that typically with nano tanks I tend to do large waterchanges roughly 20-30% weekly, also could be that the ESV b ionic salt mix I use typically has elevated Mg, Ca, and Kh. So perhaps I don't see that significant of a decline, which is why that reading caught me off guard. After talking with G.Alexander zeovit guru on the zeovit forum he suggested that I test for K, he also suggested that the N03 readings really aren't that important as long as they don't increase it shouldn't be detrimental. He was saying that it is indeed a phenomenon or chemical reaction that K tends to be depleted in zeo systems. Your logic would make sense if that is the case. Also my salt mix is really a 2 part, with sodium chloride and magnesium in seperate parts as well. In regards to the sand and rock, I cured the rock seperately in a Rubbermaid when we first had that discussion the the lanthanum chloride. After about 2 weeks I filled the tank, added the rock and sand together to begin the cycle.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I hadn't ever experienced that level of mag drop in any previous cycle. Could be attributed to that typically with nano tanks I tend to do large waterchanges roughly 20-30% weekly, also could be that the ESV b ionic salt mix I use typically has elevated Mg, Ca, and Kh. So perhaps I don't see that significant of a decline, which is why that reading caught me off guard. After talking with G.Alexander zeovit guru on the zeovit forum he suggested that I test for K, he also suggested that the N03 readings really aren't that important as long as they don't increase it shouldn't be detrimental. He was saying that it is indeed a phenomenon or chemical reaction that K tends to be depleted in zeo systems. Your logic would make sense if that is the case. Also my salt mix is really a 2 part, with sodium chloride and magnesium in seperate parts as well. In regards to the sand and rock, I cured the rock seperately in a Rubbermaid when we first had that discussion the the lanthanum chloride. After about 2 weeks I filled the tank, added the rock and sand together to begin the cycle.

Gotcha . I didn't know which direction you went with on the rock cycling . I am also using B-ionic Salt . I can't say it's any better than a few other's I have used . I will vouch that it can be used on the fly . R you going to stay with it or switch to another ? I was surprised that the salt uses mag sulfate vs chloride .
I am not sure how k fares in my tank since I am not using stones. I carbon dose in a less aggressive manor . I proly need to pick up a test or add a monti or birdsnest for visual observations of K depletion . It's a poor mans way of doing it but it works.
Good to see the tank is slowly getting stocked .

OP
OP
squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha . I didn't know which direction you went with on the rock cycling . I am also using B-ionic Salt . I can't say it's any better than a few other's I have used . I will vouch that it can be used on the fly . R you going to stay with it or switch to another ? I was surprised that the salt uses mag sulfate vs chloride .
I am not sure how k fares in my tank since I am not using stones. I carbon dose in a less aggressive manor . I proly need to pick up a test or add a monti or birdsnest for visual observations of K depletion . It's a poor mans way of doing it but it works.
Good to see the tank is slowly getting stocked .

With the B-ionic salt I've noticed a significant difference, from reef crystals, could again be attributed to the small water volume in nanos and how build up of things is expressed much more quickly and with a more significant response in the tanks inhabitants. I hadn't considered switching brands, I've been using it for years now. Though I do wish I could find a mix as high quality with out the price tag. I wasn't aware that the difference between the two types of magnesium is necessarily relevant enough to warrant any concern. Though I'm no chemist.

In regards to my testing this morning here's where things ended up.

Mg - 1410 (much more normal)
N03 on replacement water 0 for both tests
K - 380

I've never tested for K so I'm going to have to do some research to understand what to do with that result and then adjust if necessary, as well as monitor any daily decline in that value. The test from Red Sea is quite time consuming at around 20 min in total, and a +/-5% accuracy. I'll be glad when I narrow it down and can have a defined dosing schedule.

OP
OP
squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally took the time to take, edit and upload pictures for the reef. Now if i could just fast forward time and let things grow out. Some are from ebay, the local LFS, friends, the world wide corals live sale.

Partial room shot

FTS

FTS #2

Left side

Right side

Zoa Garden

Yumas

Micromussa for my wife

WWC Hallie Berries, so much prettier in real life.

WWC Frutti pop acro

Unknown Acro

Alleged Rainbow Prostrata, we will see with this one.

Blueish purpleish stag (?), got it from ebay, the picture was much more blue, hoping it colors back up

Unknown acro, I like this one. All the unknowns came from a 5 coral grab back frag pack from WWC

Green and blue tipped prostrata

Unknown acro

Unknown acro #2

Citron Millie

WWC Little Red Ferrari, couldnt capture the colors on this one, body like a red dragon with yellow tips and polyps

WWC Heartbreaker

WWC Magenta Madness Millie

Unknown acro, could be a Tyree Tri color valadia

WWC Radioactive Anacropora

I almost cried when while I was snipping off the peg on the frag plug it broke.... hope it heals ok.

OP
OP
squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Purple Monster

Snowdrop tabling acro

Yellow Highlighter prostrata, couldnt accurately capture the colors on this one, definitely yellow in real life with a hint of orange. snagged it for 10 bucks on ebay.

WWC Radioactive green slimer

Jason Fox ultimate stag

Peek-a-Boo!

OP
OP
squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's so many beautiful frags! I can't wait to see it all grow in. It's a beautiful looking tank this early, it's going to be spectacular as it matures!

Thanks for checking it out Eric! I'm hoping I can do just that as long as I dont screw anything up! :p

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's stunning I really love the total setup. Corals look great love the acanthos n nice zoa n sps gardens started.

Reef-roach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank, the planning you put into having an attractive setup, both in and under the tank is apparent, Jennifer! Sweet livestock and great pics, I'll be following to watch your aquarium's progress!

OP
OP
squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's stunning I really love the total setup. Corals look great love the acanthos n nice zoa n sps gardens started.

Aw thank you!

Beautiful tank, the planning you put into having an attractive setup, both in and under the tank is apparent, Jennifer! Sweet livestock and great pics, I'll be following to watch your aquarium's progress!

Thanks for stopping by Jay!

Looking good! You really made out well in the WWC sale. I got a heartbreaker Frag as well. Very nice acro.

Maybe a little too well..... my bank account isnt too happy with my scores. :p

So last night the green and blue tipped prostrata RTN'ed on me. It was never exactly happy when it came in from ebay a few weeks back and had no PE to speak of.

I ran the full series of tests this morning when I noticed, and everything seemed to test out consistent with my results from the week, Alk was the only value that seemed off at 9.6dkh which would have meant it rose from 8.9, that doesnt seem to add up considering ive not dosed or done a water change since the last test. Today is waterchange day, and time to clean all the filter socks and sponges. Ill retest and post my results. By large in part everything seems to be ok otherwise, pretty decent PE on most of the new additions.

I'm going to slowly up the flow a bit and see if that helps, as well as lower salinity per some advice I recieved from the zeovit forum. I've read that flow can contribute to RTN. It could all be inconsequential and just be too much too soon. I totally know better than to add that many at once to a new system..... I might have been drinking the night of the live sale and gotten a bit carried away......

OP
OP
squirrelieygrrrl

squirrelieygrrrl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank! What camera do You use to take pictures?

Thanks! They are all shot with a Nikon D3000 with a stock 55mm lens. I post process them slightly in Lightroom, minimal temp correction, exposure, and other minor adjustments as needed. I've only been shooting the reef with this camera for this build so I'm sure my quality will only improve as I become more comfortable with it.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.0%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 92 50.3%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back