Stability - What, how and why? let's talk.

alishahlakhani

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,
So I was wondering that our hobby relies alot on attaining "stability" but in it's raw form, what does stability even mean? I have few theories on what, why and how of stability in a reef tank. Feel free to correct me or share more opinions.

What:
- Stability is a range not a fixed number - +-2 points of shift is alright as long is it's not too fast and gradual over the week.
- Benchmark keeps shifting to where tanks goes - it's okay to switch benchmark/target paramenter if tank is going that direction
- Gears + Automation = Stability - It's much easier to achieve stability with proper equipment.

How:
- ATO - For Salinity
- Doser - For Alkalinity, Calcium, Magnesium and trace elements, etc.
- Testing - For daily/weekly/monthly monitoring and benchmarking
- Maintenance schedule - For ensuring things don't go south unexpectedly
- Controlled Feeding - Nitrates + Phosphates ofcourse..
- Auto pilot reefing - No hands inside the tank, not moving corals, not micromanaging tanks.
- No drastic changes - Everything, and I mean everything, must be done over a period of weeks not hours

Why:
- Corals grow faster
- Fishes feel less stress
- Reduces manual work and anxiety
- No more mad scientist everyday.
- Tank matures faster + Coraline growth
- Less maintenance work overall because things are business as usual most of the days (Something I learned in my 1st year of reefing)

I'm doing a research for next podcast episode of KeepReefin(shameless plug, sorry) so your help is appreciated <3
Please checkout my previous episodes. I'm trying to cover new and intersting topics that most of us don't talk about in this hobby, you may like them.

Ali

logo.png Episode Cover.png Episode Cover.png Episode Cover.png Episode Cover.png

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up.

A lot of newer folk don’t look for that range and chance the specific numbers. Thanks for sharing

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 118 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back