Stabilizing phosphates

sagee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks I've been reefing a long time but i would like to take my tank to the next level so to speak. As the name of this thread suggests, im having an issue keeping my phosphates in check they go up and down and no matter what I try im having an issue keeping them stable im not going for a specific number but if I had to pick a something I'd strive to keep it around 0.05. Do people measure out their fish food or things of that nature? Or what are some of the ways you guys keep your phosphates stable?

I appreciate you reading this and will try to add as much info as possible below.

Redsea 425 xl
Bare bottom
fuge in sump
Ice cap algae scrubber
Radions g4 pros
Dosing brightwell reef energy a and b
Phosphates 0.06 Hannah ppb phosphorus
Nitrates 0 Api test kit
Alk 8.5 Hanna
Cal 425 redsea
Mag 1550 redsea

I try to feed daily 1 cube of frozen mysis or brine and once a week will add some reef roids soaked in ab+ corals are pretty mixed reef but im leaning more into sps specifically acros thus why im trying to stable out.

1 large yellow tang
1 green chromie
1 pavo damsel
1 springers damsel
1 Roland's damsel
1 small yellow corris wrasse
Around 10 big red stripe trochus snails

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use rowaphos (GFO) in both my systems and keep it locked down very low

If you stay below around 0.03 you will avoid many of the problems we constantly read about.

OP
OP
sagee

sagee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you just follow the instructions as to the amount added, or do you have how much you need worked out? I was under the impression rowa and or gfo would just reduce phosphates to 0 and when it wasn't at 0 you would need to replace it.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you just follow the instructions as to the amount added, or do you have how much you need worked out? I was under the impression rowa and or gfo would just reduce phosphates to 0 and when it wasn't at 0 you would need to replace it.

You do not want to drive phosphate to undetectable levels. Figuring out the amount to use is a trial and error process.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just follow the instructions and adjust as necessary

I use a Hanna checker, and if it reads 0 I’m delighted because it means I don’t need to change it yet. With the test error margin, and amount of waste going around the system, its unlikely to ever be absolute 0, just very low.

OP
OP
sagee

sagee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do not want to drive phosphate to undetectable levels. Figuring out the amount to use is a trial and error process.
Thanks for the reply, I've gone over many of your recommendations on phosphates and phosphorus and I greatly appreciate that, I understand 0 is bad, my issue is the roller coaster, it could be misinformation about gfo or my dads old school mentality and wanting 0,0 but I've seen first hand 0 on my tank when my phosphates hit 0 bad things happen. So with the slow addition of rowa and finding balance is the approach you would recommend?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been brutal the passed couple days .
Mr. Farley, i have another question for you, How do you feel about the use of carbon dosing for phosphate control?

Organic carbon dosing is fine to do, and it accomplishes several things such as producing bacterial food for filter feeders, maybe feeds corals directly, and can lower nitrate, but as a phosphate lowering tool it is pretty weak.

Back