Stabilizing salinity with a DOS...

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, at first blush this may seem an odd choice of equipment to use to help stabilize your salinity. so, the back story, short and sweet.

For many years I had been dealing with the slow and precipitous drop in salinity over time of my DT. The primary culprit, it seems, is our ever-present and trusty skimmers and the combined use of ATOs. I am sure there are other factors that contribute to this phenomenon as well but that is likely a discussion for another time but likely will not be breached by me.

A few months ago I purchased an extraordinarily loud, like a freight train, DOS to perform AWCs nightly. Thank God I have a two-story concrete home with the bedroom at the opposite end of the house and one flight up. If you have a Neptune Apex and don't have the DOS to perform AWCs nightly, I strongly recommend it and noise-canceling headphones.

For my 125g system, I perform a nightly 2.5g water change and have been doing so for a while. It finally dawned on me that all I need to do is add a little more saltwater than I am taking out to stabilize the slow and inevitable drop in salinity that I have been experiencing. Some tweaking, easily done through Fusion, will likely be needed. Another option is you can up the salinity level in your water change reservoir. The few drawbacks with this are you have a larger volume of water (the reservoir) to adjust to match your salinity drop or if you use NSW as I do not have an abundance of salt to adjust the said volume. Further, it is far easier to tweak the water change volumes to fine-tune and match your salinity drop and you only need to concentrate on adjusting one point in the system rather than the salinity level in your reservoir and the volumes the DOS pumps. Salinity has now been pegged for just over a month at 35 with no fluctuation.

Well, this helped me simplify life and I hope that it may do the same for you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P-Dub

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 year old sleeps in a room next to my office... and it's woken her up in the middle of the night. So now I set my awc to 9am. The dos noise goes great with my first cup of coffee!

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw was curious about that. Can you set it the dos to add extra salt water based on your salinity probe readings to maintain?...AND still perform the daily awc?

MrWheelock

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw was curious about that. Can you set it the dos to add extra salt water based on your salinity probe readings to maintain?...AND still perform the daily awc?
I bet, im not 100% but if you can activate it via salinity reading it should just be as simple as if salinity is 1.024 then dos (SW) on and conversely if salinity is 1.024 then top up off

OP
OP
P-Dub

P-Dub

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. It might have to be a one or the other.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex salinity probe is much too unreliable to be the basis for triggering salt water addition. I have not adjusted my DoS to add back in slightly more NSW than it removes OSW, but I do mix up the NSW to a slightly higher salinity - both for skimmer and for trident. Accomplishes the same end result.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back