Stand Build

iplayhockey1919

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I purchased a used tank from a store that was moving into a smaller location. I made out with a 7 foot tank and a very unusal problem. The size is getting me because I am building a new stand for the tank while maintaing enough room to have access to the sump underneath.

1. My concern comes with the amount of weight it will be able to hold.

2. How to maintain enough area under the tank without breaking the integrity of the support for the tank above it. (I want to be able to pull out the sump if needed).

3. Lastly, to make it more complicated, I will be adding a second tank to the stand but this tank will is a 40 gal breeder to hold my clownfish heirm tank but running off the same sump.

Tank size:
L x W x H
#1 7' x 30"x 16"
#2 3' x 36"x 17"

Stand size (the 2 feet at the end will be for the breeder tank that will make an L shape and go about 37").
9' x 30.5"

I am looking on how to place the supports and if anything extra support is needed. Thanks for your help.

BillyKVT

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! I'd go with a steel square tubing frame if you're comfortable with welding. Rock solid and lots of room! Pm me if you have any questions.

OP
OP
iplayhockey1919

iplayhockey1919

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! I'd go with a steel square tubing frame if you're comfortable with welding. Rock solid and lots of room! Pm me if you have any questions.
Would like to honestly, but no experience with welding.

pelicansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
learning to weld is super easy. Post an information thread in the local reef/aquarium forum about steel stands and you will likely get several people that can give you the information you need. You can also find a welder/marine reef keeper that will work with you.

Steel is the answer. I just built a 1 1/2" square tube stand for my 250 Gal reef. you can clad the outside with wood or laminate or whatever suits you. I have a design in my head for a new stand that includes led down lighting and sump area lighting. it will be super custom and unlike anything out there.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 162 61.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 91 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 45 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.2%
Back