Stand design hardwood floor

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any reference (or perhaps just know) an allowable/safe figure for psi on oak floors without damage to the surface? No matter how I search in Google I either get residential building code minimums for total distributed load or either hardness tests for oak flooring that tells you what distance a particular force will drive a 1/4" steel ball into the surface.

Specifically I am trying to decide how many and what diameter levelling feet to use for my stand in order to prevent leaving visible marks in the wood surface.

Any help would be appreciated

Steve_Skullsplitter0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish i could answer that ... my stand is steel tube skeleton. I leveled it by placing 1/4" thick stainless steel flat bar across the entire front brace and put foam rubber matting under that... my floor is solid maghony 3/4". I figured spreading the load is best idea. 150gal cube. Wieght apx 1500lbs.

OP
OP
G

Gp!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish i could answer that ... my stand is steel tube skeleton. I leveled it by placing 1/4" thick stainless steel flat bar across the entire front brace and put foam rubber matting under that... my floor is solid maghony 3/4". I figured spreading the load is best idea. 150gal cube. Wieght apx 1500lbs.

Thanks. Using a steel covering over the floor is my fallback option but I was hoping just to get the math right up front. Didn't expect it to be such a difficult figure to locate!

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oak is pretty hard - unless you're going to have really tiny legs you're probably safe. What size tank/how much weight? You can probably rig some sort of test that does an equivalent PSI on a piece of scrap wood or in an inconspicuous corner, but going with a larger leveling foot wouldn't hurt. Or use shims.

Back