Stand Design

Prettymuchnow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiiii!

My wife told me she didn't want a bigger aquarium in the living room. So now Im about to have a much bigger sump instead! :star-struck::face-with-tears-of-joy:

Picked up a used 55 gallon. Going to leak test it and put in some big baffles and have a huge fuge. Going to place my 29 gallon marine tank and my wife's 10 gallon freshwater on top. The stand that they are currently on is not built to purpose so we will actually end up with more space once I do this :p

In the process now of designing how to merge all my tanks together into one stand. (And do it really proper!) But there is one thing that's been bothering me about getting the tanks to sit right...

In the video you can see the 29 gallon is sitting on the stand - the center corner is only going to be supported by the 2x4 running across in the center, directly below it. I cannot think of a way to support all corners of the tank with a 2x4 directly underneath while also having the 55 gallon there as well..

I've probably over designed it, but that middle sitting corner is making me nervous for some reason. Anyone have any input or ideas?
Do you think this will hold up?

OP
OP
P

Prettymuchnow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s way overbuilt for such small tanks. Stop worrying. It’s a 29 gallon tank. That’s only like 250 lbs.
Haha thanks!

I think I'm just worried because if it collapses I'll never be allowed to have a tank again and the only thing I know is that the weight is placed through the corners!

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha thanks!

I think I'm just worried because if it collapses I'll never be allowed to have a tank again and the only thing I know is that the weight is placed through the corners!
Since it has a top, the weight is dispersed along all edges of the frame. Your house is built out of 2X4’s spaced at 16-18”, it will be fine.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back