Stand for 350G with strange dimensions.

Strap624

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I know stands have had a thousand threads posted all over the internet. This is a very abnormal size tank though. It is 64x42x30. Yes 42" deep. I havent seen anyone build a stand that is this deep in dimension( not wooden ones at least). I plan to build with 2x6's but im concerned with the span front to back of 42" . Do you think it will cause an issue? Its the same stand design that is proven and shown on the king of diy YouTube channel , it would be 10 vertical 2x6's with a center support obviously. I figure I would just add additional cross supports front to back to help support it. I plan on using a 3/4 ply top. Any design input here?
20221208_103046.jpg

OP
OP
S

Strap624

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You only need 2X6 for the top frame. The legs and bottom can all be 2X4.
Thanks! Do you think the 42" depth is an issue? These crossmembers have no support other than screws. I guess they could be glued for additional strength, as well as adding additional crossmembers.

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Do you think the 42" depth is an issue? These crossmembers have no support other than screws. I guess they could be glued for additional strength, as well as adding additional crossmembers.
You could add joist hangers typically used in outdoor deck building. These are cheap and easy to install if you are concerned about the cross beams shifting. Make sure to paint them as a way to seal them from saltwater and rust.

I am not an engineer but I believe you should be fine as is. If you are using a full/solid plywood sheet as the stand top (I am sure you are with an acrylic tank) the load of the tank will be spread more evenly.

My suggestion would to also consider wrapping the stand with wood as well to prevent twist or horizontal shifting as it will be very top-heavy with the tank on it.

OP
OP
S

Strap624

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add joist hangers typically used in outdoor deck building. These are cheap and easy to install if you are concerned about the cross beams shifting. Make sure to paint them as a way to seal them from saltwater and rust.

I am not an engineer but I believe you should be fine as is. If you are using a full/solid plywood sheet as the stand top (I am sure you are with an acrylic tank) the load of the tank will be spread more evenly.

My suggestion would to also consider wrapping the stand with wood as well to prevent twist or horizontal shifting as it will be very top-heavy with the tank on it.
This was my previous one I built about 5 years ago for my 180G. It was wrapped in fence slats. Kind of a rustic look. It has diagonal braces inside. 3/4" top. Thanks for the reassurances. I'm sure it will be suitable however I build it.
1103182208.jpg

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really nice. Looks like you already have the right plans and skills.

Tank is awesome BTW. Love the deeper dimension and can't wait to see the build thread.

OP
OP
S

Strap624

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's really nice. Looks like you already have the right plans and skills.

Tank is awesome BTW. Love the deeper dimension and can't wait to see the build thread.
Thanks. This one is actually going to be freshwater, but I guess DIY doesn't matter so I posted here. Reef2reef seems to be the best aquarist forum right now for info. I had my fun with saltwater, but with kids, work, and life it's hard to keep up. I wanted something big and simple, and I can set up a drip system for auto water changes, so almost no maintenance except for filter cleanings and cleaning the acrylic.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that stand design should translate well. I would use mid span legs on the 42" sides that use the same doubled construction as the long sides (maybe 2x4 material). I would also configure your center post where it supports the load through the wood (not screws in sheer). You could also consider a heavier top sheet, something like 1 1/8" sub flooring would better span the load to the edges and center post and reduce the need for more cross bracing. As suggested, diagonal framing or sheeting on the side is always a good idea.

I'd love to see your freshwater setup once its up, I have two myself.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I feel the way he did it is a waste of time and effort. Instead, I would have run another support down the center long-ways, and had a leg piece that was turned so it supported the end of the new cross-beam.

OP
OP
S

Strap624

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here's progress so far, it's upside down BTW. I think I figured out a solution for the crossmembers. Top frame is 2x6, but crossmembers will be 2x4. Under the crossmembers I will put a 1x2 strip, glued and screwed. The crossmembers can rest on this for additional support.
20221211_173359.jpg

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my previous one I built about 5 years ago for my 180G. It was wrapped in fence slats. Kind of a rustic look. It has diagonal braces inside. 3/4" top. Thanks for the reassurances. I'm sure it will be suitable however I build it.
1103182208.jpg
I like this, its unique unlike 99% of the wood stands out there with no character!

OP
OP
S

Strap624

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks petty sharp, how long till it gets wet?
Would be fast, but I have to tear down the 180g that is there and transfer the fish to a temporary home. Also need to tear down my 75g to use the tank as the sump for the new tank, have to house those fish temporarily while I polish the scratches out of my old 180g. Plus the new tank is so huge I can't do it myself. Need friends to help move this beast.

All_talk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you, it’s a process for sure.

I’m in the middle of a small addition on the house that will be the laundry room, so the old laundry room can be a fish room for the new in-wall tank. And along the way the whole house is getting new floors and a new roof.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back