Stand options for Fluval Flex 32.5

EaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. Im considering possibly getting a Fluval Flex 32.5 for a first tank. What recommendations does everyone have for a stand?

I'm not a fan of the stand sold by Fluval, and pretty much everything else I see measures 30 inches (or is sized up for a large tank). What's everyone else using as a stand of not the stock stand?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t answer with the question but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some help

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm.... I didn't look at the bowfront stand. The case of the Fluval Flex is rectangular, 32.5 in x 15.75 in. The stands i saw at Petco and PetSmart were only 30 in wide

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could, but that's far more time consuming, and before I go down that route I wanted to know what other options there were, or what other Flex owners were using.

Upvote 0

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a sturdy piece of furniture for mine. It is is probably 5 feet long or so, I just found one that had a lot of strong legs, thick top and solid wood. I have had it on there for 2 years now.

Upvote 0

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, I'll answer your question, what am I using for a stand. I am using a mobile kitchen island for the stand. It's solid wood with a decorative wooden top. It had casters on it, and I removed them, and one side of it folds down. The tank fits on it with room to spare with the side folded down, so I use the folding table for when I check the water parameters, it makes a nice surface to put everything on.

Now, having said that, I would urge you away from the Flex. I bought it for my daughter about a year ago, and it has a lot of quirks that just make it a really undesirable tank. The biggest issue with it is that it absolutely fails as an AIO. The rear AIO housing is not sealed properly all the way around in critical areas which allows water to bypass the filtration entirely. Also, the lights that come with the tank are only so-so and almost everyone I know of has upgraded them to at least a pair of AI Primes. Other issues include having a limited amount of aftermarket "upgrades" that work with the tank and its AIO dimensions. Your money is better spent elsewhere... A Fiji AIO Tank would be a much better route and about the same cost, or, you can get yourself a 40-breeder and get one of Fiji's drop in AIO kits for it which is a far more economical approach allowing you to save a bunch of money and buy other, better, more critical equipment.

That's just my $0.02

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

EaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that insight. I initially considered the Fluval Flex as a budget option, and had researched options to handle the deficiencies you mentioned. Of course, i would gladly consider other options in a similar price range.

Upvote 0

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that insight. I initially considered the Fluval Flex as a budget option, and had researched options to handle the deficiencies you mentioned. Of course, i would gladly consider other options in a similar price range.
Look at the FijiCube 32 Gallon Pro series... It's $521 for the Pro series (I think the flex comes in at $479). Pro series includes Filter Basket and Filter sock for your choice, and a variable DC return pump sized correctly. The only thing it doesn't come with over the Fluval is a Lid and Lights. The lids from Fiji aren't as expensive as aftermarket lids for the Fluval, and as I said in my earlier reply, lights are something nearly everyone replaces anyways (usually within the first 6 months), and the same lights could be used on either the flex or the Fiji. So you're really saving money since with the flex you typically need to upgrade return pump, buy lights, and buy a new lid and any of the lid options are like $200 or really close to it (I paid $234 for my Kraken Reef lid), and the lids at Fiji are only like $140-150 I think.

Upvote 0

Lsuhunter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights might be mediocre but they still grow coral. My tank has been running for 2 years now and its been jam packed for awhile now. I think you also need to consider what kind you are interested in growing. The sleek looking hood with lights is why I picked the tank to begin with.

Upvote 0

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights might be mediocre but they still grow coral. My tank has been running for 2 years now and its been jam packed for awhile now. I think you also need to consider what kind you are interested in growing. The sleek looking hood with lights is why I picked the tank to begin with.
This is true, they do grow coral. With one, you can grow softies and most LPS, with two you can even do SPS. I think the deficiencies, at least for me personally, are the inability to keep to a schedule after a power outage (the internal clock resets to midnight when the power comes back on, and you have to be around with Bluetooth in to correct that), and the stock lid with heat is already a problem with one light (It runs very warm) let alone 2. Running 2 lights means lid modification or a chiller in most applications in my experience, and I think that's why a lot of people opt to just switch em out, because it ends up being more trouble than it's worth...

Upvote 0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back