Stand: Plywood or 2X4?

Seb21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am finally taking the plunge and converting my 125 gal from freshwater to saltwater. My current stand is from Petco or Petsmart (don't remember), anyway it has a partition in the middle so it does not for me, and I need to build a new one. After doing some research, it seems that the majority of us is for using 2x4 and then dress the stand. Looking at mine it is made of crappy particle board of maybe 1 inch if I am lucky and so it seems that 2x4 might be completely overkill. Would it be possible to build a stand with plywood only for a tank that size? and if so how? It seems to me that it would be easier to get a straight stand cutting plywood rather than trying to work with 2x4 from Home Depot that are not straight and with plywood I feel like I would get much more space inside.
tank is 72x18x22 and I am looking at a 40" high stand.
Any inputs/photo/plans ideas are welcome.

Thanks

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been building stands for 10+ years. at your size I would do all 3/4" plywood. 2xs and posts warp and twist easier, and they take up more room inside the stand. it can be easier for most people to cut 2x4s, that's why they're so popular. cutting straight and even sheets of plywood is more difficult.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes, most 2x4s are not straight. If they are to be used I always recommend using a planer and jointer to make them straight and even.

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go to a local lumber yard for some quality lumber, or get the premium 2x4s and sift through them. There's some straight ones in there. No such thing as over kill in a stand, these tanks weigh over 1000lbs.

Gustavo Martinez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a metal stand for my 55g Hexagon at Petco, now I'm starting to reinforce it with 3/4" melamine covered plywood... So far so good...

OP
OP
S

Seb21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been building stands for 10+ years. at your size I would do all 3/4" plywood. 2xs and posts warp and twist easier, and they take up more room inside the stand. it can be easier for most people to cut 2x4s, that's why they're so popular. cutting straight and even sheets of plywood is more difficult.
Thanks cromag, i am going to go with plywood. Would one center stile on the front and two in the back be enough? thanks

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a solid sheet for the front and back, then use a router for the cutouts. looks a lot cleaner that way. for your size you would only need one for the front don't need any for the back, really.

In the example below I could have routed a thin horizontal cutout in the back.

IMAG0243_zpsfacu5orm.jpg

OP
OP
S

Seb21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a solid sheet for the front and back, then use a router for the cutouts. looks a lot cleaner that way. for your size you would only need one for the front don't need any for the back, really.

In the example below I could have routed a thin horizontal cutout in the back.

IMAG0243_zpsfacu5orm.jpg
Thanks this is exactly what I was looking for. What an awesome work you did there!!! I actually was looking at another tread showing your finished stand with the canopy, and wow really and I mean really nice!!! Great lines, There are plenty of great stands out there but this one for me has just the right amount and type of trims and I like how you got the maxim inside space out of it, awesome job. Any possibility to share the measurements, I honestly would love to copy it. Thx

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iirc, the stand was 96 x 24 x 35.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" Baltic birch (about $100/sheet), pocket hole screws and wood glue. the glue is actually what holds it together. the screws just hold the wood together for the glue to dry. it is absolutely essential that all panels are cut square and to the correct size - especially the height.

OP
OP
S

Seb21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3/4" Baltic birch (about $100/sheet), pocket hole screws and wood glue. the glue is actually what holds it together. the screws just hold the wood together for the glue to dry. it is absolutely essential that all panels are cut square and to the correct size - especially the height.
Thanks Cromag appreciate the help, i followed your advice and going with 3/4" birch plywood. I have one more question, my stand will be 72.5"L x18.5"Wx36"H and I am planning on having one center stile of 8" wide in the front of the tank with the ones on the sides being 6" wide. and at the back I will have 4 of 4" wide each. I think it should be enough to support my 125 but would like your take on it. Thanks

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More than enough.

Thanks Cromag appreciate the help, i followed your advice and going with 3/4" birch plywood. I have one more question, my stand will be 72.5"L x18.5"Wx36"H and I am planning on having one center stile of 8" wide in the front of the tank with the ones on the sides being 6" wide. and at the back I will have 4 of 4" wide each. I think it should be enough to support my 125 but would like your take on it. Thanks

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back