STARFISH: How many of you have a starfish in your reef?

Starfish in your reef aquarium?

• Yes I currently have one

Votes: 336 41.4%
  • No starfish for me

Votes: 227 28.0%
  • I have problems keeping them alive

Votes: 84 10.4%
  • I plan to add one in the future

Votes: 162 20.0%
  • other..

Votes: 54 6.7%

• Total voters

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a large red serpent for years until my tank move. I have tons of microbrittle stars as I am sure everyone does. I try to keep control of the "asterina" if I can. I have also had a green predatory star that ate a fair few fish before I found it.
I have kept choc chip starfish, but not long after it ate my corals. It was for a harlequin that did not like it.
I have wanted to try others, but never felt I could feed them right.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you have a starfish in your reef aquarium and if so what kind?
Serpent Seastar

2. Do you think there is an advantage to having a starfish in your tank?
Cleans up food not eaten by fish for sure

3. Do you have any problems keeping a starfish happy and thriving in your aquarium?
None, kept in a 40 gal frag tank for over a year before moving to 167gal.

Not counting the tiny white ones

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I feel like this needs two sections. Brittle and serpent stars are easy enough to keep, but most "classic" starfish are either not-reef-safe or nearly impossible to keep alive.

(Keep in mind, they can take over a year to starve. It's not a success until you've had it for several years.)

I have two species of micro brittles. When I get a larger tank eventually, l'll probably get a big serpent star. Maybe one of the ones with all the long, fancy projections on the legs.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Was thinking about adding a red linckia. Anyone have experience with them in a 4 month old tank?
Linckias starve in all but massive (multiple hundreds of gallons) tanks, and do poorly even in some of those. They need a huge, heavily established system. They're one of the animals that should really be left in the ocean.

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Linckias starve in all but massive (multiple hundreds of gallons) tanks, and do poorly even in some of those. They need a huge, heavily established system. They're one of the animals that should really be left in the ocean.
Thanks! Microbrittles look pretty cool, but will they get picked off by a wrasse, royal gramma, tangs?

Bcheek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Microbrittles look pretty cool, but will they get picked off by a wrasse, royal gramma, tangs?
I've seen my wrasse going after micro brittles, but they multiply pretty quickly especially in a fuge

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i voted one and other
i have a banded serpent in my display tank. in my refugium i put 3 red brittlestars, i now have a bunch of them. also hitchhiking starfish: white ones,maybe an inch tip to tip, asterinas, of various arm configurations,
all of them seem to be finding enough to eat and do not seem to have any problems except getting too close to wave pumps. i agree that the ones i have are in a different class than the big predator ones.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 'common starfish' for ?? 1 1/2 years? I do supplement feed with softened chunks from Rods predator blend. Also have a brittle star but only ever see his legs...

PSX_20201026_145515.jpg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, bristle star and mini bristle stars

Yes great part of the CUC.

3. Do you have any problems keeping a starfish happy and thriving in your aquarium?

No, they all seem to be doing well.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 'common starfish' for ?? 1 1/2 years? I do supplement feed with softened chunks from Rods predator blend. Also have a brittle star but only ever see his legs...

PSX_20201026_145515.jpg
That's an Echinaster spinulosus, common or small spine seastar. I would love to try one of these in the future, I've got some sources for them as well.

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never owned a real seastar (class Asteroidia), but have kept several serpent and brittle stars (class Ophiuroidea) over the years. They are very cool cryptic animals and wonderful additions to the CUC. There are a couple of true star species I've been eyeing recently, one of which being Echinaster spinulosus from the gulf coast. Anecdotally they do pretty well in aquariums and seem to feed on decaying food and plant matter.
Keep the beautiful stars coming guys!

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a real starfish! I collected it myself so I’m unsure of the species but he is a joy to have! It’s been 8 months now and he still looks really good.
BE4BFF21-87CF-4EC3-83E4-3AAAD77D0082.jpeg
83E19F35-FEAC-4390-B524-4D150918C92C.jpeg
Thats a forbes sea star. IVe found them here in NC. Doesn't eat coral?

nastronaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the ocean and a reef "setting" just seems incomplete without a starfish. But how many of us are actually housing one in our reef tanks? Let's talk about it today!

image via @Paul87
WNBw9ZS.jpg
Just have a mini brittle star I scored for free hosting in an empty conch shell. Well now 2~ of them.

Scored some asterina too but they're ded.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.8%
Back