Start my first salt tank today

Budget reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone I have been reading on here for the last 2 weeks decided to make an account. I will be starting my cycle today with dr Tim's one and only on a 40 breeder with 40 lbs of dry rock and crushed corals substrate. I am highly debating dropping in 2 clowns today after I add the bio on a bottle. This is my first salt tanks
Thoughts???

20191224_081837.jpg

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! I cycled my tank with Dr Tim bacteria and ammonia and I would wait three weeks until the tank get stable before adding any livestock. By the way, like your rock scape..

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. One lesson you must learn early... be patient. This tank is not going anywhere anytime soon. Best bet is to take it slow. You can always add slowly and observe. Add too much and it might end up crashing your tank. Ask questions and research the facts. So much information on this site and very helpful people who want to see you do well. Welcome aboard!

bjc451

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been there wanting to add livestock. Unfortunately lots of loss. I just re started with dry everything and waited over two months. As soon as I added cuc. And a fish. That adds nutrients and equals uglies. Get your water change regime down, research stocking list and order you add fish. Fine tune your flow, and skimmer. The tank will go through many phases.

OP
OP
Budget reefer

Budget reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love your scape, pretty impressive for your first time. My first aquascape looked like I dumped 8 rocks in a tank after drinking a bottle of something.

I would wait on the clowns.
Thanks I feel really good about it they all just fell in place I was just setting them in to check space and realized it looked amazing lol. Thanks again

lkriley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing! You did a great job. Patience my reef friend. I know it is soooo hard to want something so bad. But, if you go too fast you will be flushing your money and your fish. You need to get through the whole cycling of your tank, and go very slowly in additions after that. Every time you add anything to your tank it has to go through another cycle of its own. We have all gone too fast before and regretted it after. You have an incredible start!!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 114 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back