Start to clownfish hosting anemone?

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish somehow got a peice of the anemone free floating and started chewing on it. It seems like it ended up stinging there mouth. Do clownfish usually do/act like this when they are trying to vet accustomed to the anemone?
First picture is peice they tore off.
Second is the nem.
Third is the clownfish and how they keep opening and closing their mouths.

20230721_164120.jpg 20230721_164125.jpg

Attachments

• 20230721_164137.mp4
    22.2 MB

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
judging from the coral in the background, seems to be zero flow in your tank. Do you have any powerheads in there to move the water?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is normal for them to bite the tentacles of the anemone while getting used to it. Sometimes people have their clowns harass anemones to death. My theory is that it's because many clowns in captivity being introduced to anemones are adults which are capable of hurting the anemone when they bite it, while clowns entering an anemone in the wild are less than 1/2" and can't do any harm. It should be alright, even with adult clowns it works out more often than not.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is normal for them to bite the tentacles of the anemone while getting used to it. Sometimes people have their clowns harass anemones to death. My theory is that it's because many clowns in captivity being introduced to anemones are adults which are capable of hurting the anemone when they bite it, while clowns entering an anemone in the wild are less than 1/2" and can't do any harm. It should be alright, even with adult clowns it works out more often than not.
I new clownfish nibbled the nem so they could get used to the toxin. 1 I have never seen it in person and 2 I didn't know they bite the tentacles of the nem off.

My clownfish are about an inch and the nem is 6+ inches so unless they are psychos it should be fine.

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. I tried looking this up online but no answer. Do you are anybody else know how long it usually takes clowns to build the protective layer to nems?

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick question. I tried looking this up online but no answer. Do you are anybody else know how long it usually takes clowns to build the protective layer to nems?

Not long. Only a few days, sometimes less. They may never actually use the anemone as a host though. I once lost a BTA because my clowns kept biting at it without ever living in the anemone.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish somehow got a peice of the anemone free floating and started chewing on it. It seems like it ended up stinging there mouth. Do clownfish usually do/act like this when they are trying to vet accustomed to the anemone?
First picture is peice they tore off.
Second is the nem.
Third is the clownfish and how they keep opening and closing their mouths.

20230721_164120.jpg 20230721_164125.jpg
Keep an eye on the nem! Like @Anemone_Fanatic said some can kill BTAs. My pair in my big tank almost did but I moved it to my other tank with the maroons and it’s doing way better. My female in the big tank is just evil though I’ve concluded

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of clowns?

OP
OP
T

TCseh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on the nem! Like @Anemone_Fanatic said some can kill BTAs. My pair in my big tank almost did but I moved it to my other tank with the maroons and it’s doing way better. My female in the big tank is just evil though I’ve concluded
How big were your clowns and nem? My nem is 6"+ and my clowns are just a couple months old at 1"+

twelvefive

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen bits like that around my tank a couple of times and wondered what they were. I'd say I've seen 2 or 3 in 4 months. Both of my nems are happy.
20230716_171154.jpg

viper5dn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My onyx clowns did the exact same thing (nibbled on the tentacles a bit) right before they started hosting. The clowns had completely ignored the nems for ~1year before that.

shaunlfc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I added clowns and a small anemone to my aquarium this week within 3days the nem is hosting couldn’t believe it would happen so quick

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back