Starter Tank

Baldee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my first saltwater tank (Fluval Evo 13.5) earlier this year (2022). It took me a few months to get the courage to start setting it up. After it was cycled, I started stocking it (not all at once). I currently have:
1x clown fish
3x blue legged hermit
2x nass. snail
1x purple torch
1x trochus snail

I have not upgraded anything, as of yet. For nano reef tankers, my question is: if you could only upgrade one thing (and only one thing) then what would it be?

My Tank.jpg

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good and congratulations!
I'm not a nano but sure do appreciate them. Hope you get some answers from the nano community soon.

Reefing Reefer

If you build it, reefs will come
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received my first saltwater tank (Fluval Evo 13.5) earlier this year (2022). It took me a few months to get the courage to start setting it up. After it was cycled, I started stocking it (not all at once). I currently have:
1x clown fish
3x blue legged hermit
2x nass. snail
1x purple torch
1x trochus snail

I have not upgraded anything, as of yet. For nano reef tankers, my question is: if you could only upgrade one thing (and only one thing) then what would it be?

My Tank.jpg
Welcome to the hobby! The Fluval Evo was my first reef tank and it's an awesome starter with plenty of upgrade options. As with everything in the hobby, stability is key; below are the upgrades I would do in that order.
1. ATO, salinity levels are critical, and manually topping off RODI water gets tedious.
2. Light, while the Evo comes with decent light, if you want to grow more light-demanding corals you'll need something more powerful, with plenty of options on the market. (most expensive upgrade)
3. Return pump or wavemaker, the stock return pump isn't the best and I would add flow by either upgrading or adding a wavemaker (this is probably on the more cost-effective side of upgrades).

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!
Number one thing I’d change is the filtration. The intank baskets are a lifesaver. Right off the bat you’ll get clearer water, which is always good.
That was the only upgrade I made to mine and it did great.

The_ReefB0y_FOX24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow your tank is looking good I personally have never used a Fluvo 13.5. But, I have heard other people with Fluvo 13.5 have had problems with the lid.

Sumo Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the hobby!

I am on the "big" end of nano builds with my 30g cube, but I would say the one thing I wish I had is more room. Nano drastically limits us on the fish we can stock and the equipment we can use or hide :disappointed-face:.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!
Number one thing I’d change is the filtration. The intank baskets are a lifesaver. Right off the bat you’ll get clearer water, which is always good.
That was the only upgrade I made to mine and it did great.
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

+1 I still run the sock filtration but I don't have fish in mine. I think if you decide to add any more fish you are going to end up needing a better filtration. Out of all the evo 13.5 threads I've seen, almost 99% of the people immediately upgrade to the intank media baskets

Detri50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1x clown fish
3x blue legged hermit
2x nass. snail
1x purple torch
1x trochus snail

My Tank.jpg
Hey! And welcome!

Looking great so far! I'm not new to the hobby but, back in it. I decided on the same tank.

From my experience. There are so many upgrades, to many to count. And is the hardest to decide.

I agree with the ATO (auto top off). The size of the tank and evaporation will dramatically change your parameters. Though the stock lid prevents a lot of that. But, your going to want to upgrade your light and flow one day too. There are a ton of options for you in this respect. Ranging from $20 to $500. Gravity fed to controller fed. There are a ton of videos that show the different methods.

I would definitely have a back up return pump. Or upgrade the original and use it as a back up. That said the amount of flow through the return is fine if you get a power head/flow pump.

After that, I would upgrade your lid and lights. Lights are expensive, but, the right ones will last you the life time of this tank. So I would go with an upgrade that I can move to my next tank.

The ATO is a quality of life upgrade, since you can top off manually. So is the media basket upgrade. But definitely a worth while one.

Happy reefing!
Ron B.

tydeck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard.

I have a newer 13.5 running. Love the tank. Great way to start reefing. I’m in a condo so can have more the 15-20 gallons. Downstairs wouldn’t be happy. Lol

stay with it. Take your time. Read here lots of info. Will most definitely help you avoid some mistakes

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back