Starting a 24gal nano soon

ReeberAFSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next Friday I will be placing an order for a 24gal JBJ. It comes with filtration, and lighting (however I am upgrading a bit.) The plan is for a pair of snowflakes as far as fish.

I Have LPS, and quite of few zoas in mind for coral livestock.

20lbs of black tahitian sand, and 25lbs of Fiji LR will be added for the LR/LS combo.

Lighting will be a T5 4x 36W bulb combo, 2x 12000K, and 2x actinic, with 4x LEDs.

Pricing:
Tank (includes filtration)--- $225

Odyssea Lighting --- $55
Skimmer --- $45

Heater --- $25
LR/LS --- $150
TOTAL --- $500 startup

Any further tips? I've gotten tips to use the raw shrimp method, is this a good method to use?

Tek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the 30G? It has more room for items in the back and dual filters. And why not go all LED?

You can kick start the tank with some live sand and live rock. It would cycle a bit faster than using just raw shrimp.

OP
OP
R

ReeberAFSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 4 LEDs are blue (moonlighting.). The LR/LS will be added during the cycling process, along with the shrimp. The LR will also go through a final curing process to rid of more hitchhikers, as well as a FW dip, and hyper salinity dip (after that all I will have to worry about would be a mantis.) As far as the 30 JBJ? I haven't seen one, I've seen the 28, and it comes with halides. Not what I want at all. I'll look into LEDs, but I like the thought of the T5s.

OP
OP
R

ReeberAFSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you can't edit posts here?

I found the 30gal RL, but I don't know anything about RL tanks, where to put lighting, etc. I'll do some research on the topic when I get back from the gym tonight, thank you for the ideas.

T.W.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Click the Go Advanced button when posting. That will let you come back and edit later if needed.
I just started cycling my 20 gallon high a week ago using a piece of cooked shrimp. Doesn't seem to be anything quick about it, but I am looking to take my time.

Oh yeah, Welcome to Reef2Reef. Great group of people here. All seem willing to help. I know I have asked a million questions so far myself and always get an answer. I would subscribe to the Ask Nano Questions Thread as Albert Thiel monitors that daily. He is a great resource!!!!

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back