starting a 2nd tank, 32 gallon Bio-Cube

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so here's my thoughts:
I have some dry old sand from previous tank, that I am going to clean and then I am going to add some of my cycled rock, from my 125. probably some water as well as I am almost due for a water change. Looking through the forums and search, this is TERRIFYING lol! anyway, I thought I would add some of the biofilters from the 125 as well. then thought I could also add some FritzZyme Turbo 900.
any thoughts on this plan? I am a bit confused as there's suggestions that this can cycle in 24hrs, however I am really not in a hurry, as I know what a huge mistake that would be. Not even sure what the plans are just yet for this tank, but I have time.
Any thoughts, or advice is welcome!

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a method like this to start my qt each time.

I just use some sponges though, no rocks or sand.

Drop the sponge in the sump a few days ahead, then mix up fresh salt water and fill the qt, drop the sponge in.

I still dose bottle ammonia and then water for the ppm to zero, dose again and wait for it to zero. I usually pull the sponge before the second dose.

Cycle is complete when your tank can zero the ammonia dose in 24 hours or less.

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Drop the sponge in the sump a few days ahead, then mix up fresh salt water and fill the qt, drop the sponge in.

I still dose bottle ammonia and then water for the ppm to zero, dose again and wait for it to zero. I usually pull the sponge before the second dose.

oh wow! thanks for this, do you think the turbo start is needed? I have mb7, but thinking after reading a lot...it's not as good. ?

OP
OP
saltyfins

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

sorry, what kind of amonia? I have had my big tank going for close to 18 yrs, so this is my first "new" tank. ground up basically.

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mrlavalamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back