OP
OP
reddjosh

reddjosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, also I was talking about the bristle worms situation at the PetCo in Missuola. Here's a photo.
And a side note the one in Helena seems like the salt water is very well cared for.
20230312_171019.jpg

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome... I know your scenario, I live in Southwestern Utah and my local choices are very limited as well. We choose to live in these areas because of the beauty and lifestyle but they can make reefing a challenge. I have only one (other than Petco) small LFS that will order fish for me that I ask for. Corals however are another situation, there just isn't anything local with great selection. I order all my corals online from reputable vendors (TSA, WWC, etc). Watch for their big sales, you can pick up some great corals at reasonable prices. Happy reefing and all the best!

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started my build thread.

Montana. 14 gallon, mostly invertebrates, maybe. We'll see.​

As an FYI, I may be breaking down my tank in a few weeks. I may be moving to the east coast. I have a few corals and fish I may need to rehome. Most are ORA easy sps. If you’re interested let me know. I’m not gonna charge an arm and a leg for them. The purple stylo and orange monti I moved here from with and we’re on the brink of death a year ago, but they survived and have grown quite a bit.

Attachments

• A0D1512E-81D4-472B-A6EB-02010D283683.jpeg
    A0D1512E-81D4-472B-A6EB-02010D283683.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 24
OP
OP
reddjosh

reddjosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As an FYI, I may be breaking down my tank in a few weeks. I may be moving to the east coast. I have a few corals and fish I may need to rehome. Most are ORA easy sps. If you’re interested let me know. I’m not gonna charge an arm and a leg for them. The purple stylo and orange monti I moved here from with and we’re on the brink of death a year ago, but they survived and have grown quite a bit.
I'd be interested in the corals. But timing is an issue. I'm on a pretty strict budget. And I want to get my tank pretty stable before I add coral.
But Iet me know when you're leaving I might be in a good position to take you up on your offer.

Dana Gray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, also I was talking about the bristle worms situation at the PetCo in Missuola. Here's a photo.
And a side note the one in Helena seems like the salt water is very well cared for.
20230312_171019.jpg
I live in Helena and have to agree that their salt water section seems to be managed well. They've had a huge dinner plate sized nem a while ago and other really interesting fish. I got a huge hermit crab that I just love from there. I just started a 75 gal setup last fall. I'll be going to either Bozeman or Missoula for more corals this weekend as they're the closest places to me that have decent selections. It's been way to cold recently to confidently order anything and expect it to not be frozen by the time it got here.

OP
OP
reddjosh

reddjosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Helena and have to agree that their salt water section seems to be managed well. They've had a huge dinner plate sized nem a while ago and other really interesting fish. I got a huge hermit crab that I just love from there. I just started a 75 gal setup last fall. I'll be going to either Bozeman or Missoula for more corals this weekend as they're the closest places to me that have decent selections. It's been way to cold recently to confidently order anything and expect it to not be frozen by the time it got here.
Rumor has is that the Bozeman shop closed down. But, Blue Reef in Missuola has a great coral selection.
And yeah, everytime I go to that petco in Helena the staff seems to know, and care about what they are doing.

Dana Gray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rumor has is that the Bozeman shop closed down. But, Blue Reef in Missuola has a great coral selection.
And yeah, everytime I go to that petco in Helena the staff seems to know, and care about what they are doing.
I think I I keep seeing posts by 'Mountaintop Aquaculture' in Bozeman on Facebook. Sounds like a small operation right now but who knows. Also it looks like Aquatics Unlimited is still running based on their posts on FB. Still, looks like a small shop.

My wife and I drove into Miss and I got a few frags, a RFA, and some pods from Blue Reef. It's not bad. The owner says he's adding more frag tanks and is pretty busy right now. I ordered some more pods from AquaBarn and a CUC from ReefCleaners. Hopefully, they'll arrive by the end of the week with only minor die off if any.

OP
OP
reddjosh

reddjosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I I keep seeing posts by 'Mountaintop Aquaculture' in Bozeman on Facebook. Sounds like a small operation right now but who knows. Also it looks like Aquatics Unlimited is still running based on their posts on FB. Still, looks like a small shop.

My wife and I drove into Miss and I got a few frags, a RFA, and some pods from Blue Reef. It's not bad. The owner says he's adding more frag tanks and is pretty busy right now. I ordered some more pods from AquaBarn and a CUC from ReefCleaners. Hopefully, they'll arrive by the end of the week with only minor die off if any.
Ah, there used to be a really great shop in Bozeman called (if I remember correctly) Crystal Clear. They shut down unfortunately. At least that's what I can figure. Anyway, glad there are some other options in Bozeman, seems like someone would fill that gap. And Bozeman is large enough.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back