Starting a Tank

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello y’all currently cycling my first saltwater tank. I currently have a cycling tank with Seachem tidal 55 for a 29 gallon tank. Right now I have 2 chromis and a clean up crew, such as hermit crabs and nassarius snails. I am aiming for a simple stock tanked. I was planning on adding a pair of clownfish, 1 diamond goby, and 1 arc eyed hawk fish. Any recommendations or fish that are highly suggested For clownfish.
thank you

2FCFCCFF-269B-46FA-B2EA-23BD0D62268F.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello y’all currently cycling my first saltwater tank. I currently have a cycling tank with Seachem tidal 55 for a 29 gallon tank. Right now I have 2 chromis and a clean up crew, such as hermit crabs and nassarius snails. I am aiming for a simple stock tanked. I was planning on adding a pair of clownfish, 1 diamond goby, and 1 arc eyed hawk fish. Any recommendations or fish that are highly suggested For clownfish.
thank you

Ditch the idea of a diamond goby (I have a couple articles that explain why I say this, one is more in depth than the other).
The two clowns would probably max you out for a 29 if I’m honest.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you

Agree with @i cant think, mostly because I read said articles and I've seen diamond gobies grow to large sizes in captivity. It'll most likely run out of nutrients in your size tank. Instead, you can adjust the number of nassarius snails to suit your sand sifting needs. 2 chromis, 2 clownfish, and one hawkfish. I'd say you could *maybe* get away with one more fish.
By then, bioload would be at its max. You could probably go for a captive bred dottyback or a small goby like a clown goby. They're a beaut to look at. I'd suggest looking into the smaller goby species. If you choose to have a hawkfish, make sure you don't get any small ornamental shrimp like sexies, as they're prone to being eaten by them. Some smaller blenny species could also work like tailspots, as I think your hawkfish and blenny will sort out territory on either rock. (Not totally sure about that, please correct me if I'm wrong)

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ditch the idea of a diamond goby (I have a couple articles that explain why I say this, one is more in depth than the other).
Appreciate the advice, would it matter if the clown pair was a tad smaller then the chromis when I introduce them?

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would also consider whether or not you want tiny inverts and the hawkfish. You might get a specimen that plays nice, but all hawkfish are capable predators of smaller fish and invertebrates, especially shrimp and snails.

I would also consider ensuring the clowns are of a slightly different size. In the wild their hierarchy is based on size. Additionally, if they pair up (a not uncommon situation in the home aquarium) you will encounter territorial behavior to you and the other inhabitants when they guard their eggs. Just my 2c

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ...I almost feel like they would do better in a specimen tank. If we want em happy they need to be able to move massive amounts of sand

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah ...I almost feel like they would do better in a specimen tank. If we want em happy they need to be able to move massive amounts of sand
They really do. If your sand is pristine due to them then chances are they’re not getting enough food, I personally think they need Atleast a 3” deep sand bed (2” at a push but it would need to be extremely well established). Obviously the deeper the sand bed the better your chances are long term.

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with @i cant think, mostly because I read said articles and I've seen diamond gobies grow to large sizes in captivity. It'll most likely run out of nutrients in your size tank. Instead, you can adjust the number of nassarius snails to suit your sand sifting needs. 2 chromis, 2 clownfish, and one hawkfish. I'd say you could *maybe* get away with one more fish.
By then, bioload would be at its max. You could probably go for a captive bred dottyback or a small goby like a clown goby. They're a beaut to look at. I'd suggest looking into the smaller goby species. If you choose to have a hawkfish, make sure you don't get any small ornamental shrimp like sexies, as they're prone to being eaten by them. Some smaller blenny species could also work like tailspots, as I think your hawkfish and blenny will sort out territory on either rock. (Not totally sure about that, please correct me if I'm wrong)
I appreciate the response. Yea makes sense I was looking into getting a flame hawkfish but then I came across an arc eyed hawk and was really convinced to get it . My plan is to get the arc eye as well as a pair of mocha storm clowns. Possibly a green Goby if the store has them in but that will cap off my tank. I would love to hear any tips.

thank you
To all the replies

Attachments

• A4790182-B121-46F4-9AFB-D7297E16329F.jpeg
    A4790182-B121-46F4-9AFB-D7297E16329F.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 11

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the response. Yea makes sense I was looking into getting a flame hawkfish but then I came across an arc eyed hawk and was really convinced to get it . My plan is to get the arc eye as well as a pair of mocha storm clowns. Possibly a green Goby if the store has them in but that will cap off my tank. I would love to hear any tips.

thank you
To all the replies
That sounds like a good stocking plan to me :)

OP
OP
H

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would it matter if I were to try and pair a mocha storm with a regular ocellaris. I read they would be fine but just don’t wanna roll the dice

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it matter if I were to try and pair a mocha storm with a regular ocellaris. I read they would be fine but just don’t wanna roll the dice
I find it doesn’t matter as long as you get one smaller than the other and remain on the side of caution.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back