Starting an SPS only cube downsize

Oscar Bravo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 14, 2017
Messages
344
Reaction score
175
Location
San Antonio
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone
Its been on my mind to down size to 140g cube, sps only. I currently have a 240g mix tank and need something smaller. I want to transfer all my sps to the cube when I get it started. My question is what can I do so I will not lose any of my sps on the transfer? It will be a new tank new water so good chance of losing sps are big. I already took a big hit when I moved and lost about 30% of my acros. What can I do to minimizes the lost? I am thinking on using some of my liverock and old water.
 
They're doing good now correct? Use your old water, I've done it in the past with no issue. Use some of your old rock. Only issue was when I used completely new rock, hello uglies.
 
Everything is good so far. I did lost some color and some brown up from the moved 2 months ago. During the moved I used all live rock, most of the water, and sand and still lost acros.
 
When I did it, I used a brute with pump/ heater to keep it stable. But I also didn’t move. I changed tanks out. I kept water movement and temp going.
 
I am guessing I will leave it running for a month or so before adding my SPS.
 
I downsized from a miracles cube to a reefer 170. I removed everything and water from cube, placed in brute with flow and heater. Moved the cube out since the reefer was going into the same spot. Pumped the water from brute to reefer and put the sps and lps back in. Acros didn’t have an issue. Had the uglies from using new rock though. I used the same lighting on both tanks, same water, same temperature. It worked.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new