• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Starting my first reef

Inkgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
I’ve been running a 36 bowfront FOWLR for a year now, with all HOB stuff. It’s time for me to try something different. I got a 40 breeder drilled and some equipment. Going to be starting to plumb and hopefully get this set up in the next few weeks. Show me your 40 breeders and is anyone running a trigger 26 sump? That’s what I’m setting it up with :)

Corals.com

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Nice sump choice... I have a 40 B but have never taken a full photo shot of it. It is going to be transferred soon.. I will post the new 40B on my build thread. Good luck on your reef. Are you intending this to be a reef?., Look forward to hearing more about it.

What other equipment are you going to put on it?

Fragtacular Sale
OP
Inkgirl

Inkgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
That is a perfect list for upgrading. Looks like a 75 gal equip list to me... :)
That’s what I can hope but my partner isn’t too keen on it.... but then again we started with that simple 36 bowfront with only HOB and she gave me permission to do the 40 with a sump and non wishdotcom equipment lol! Chipping away at her nerves with every purchase... I just have to find things that she thinks are pretty and then show her how it’s gotta go in a larger tank. She saw a mandarin and decided she wanted one, so I convinced her I needed at least a 40 with a sump to keep pods. Guess I have to find a tang she must have...

OP
Inkgirl

Inkgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Have you shown her a full blown 120ish at a store anywhere? somebody with a good one..
Oh yes, but her worry is the weight cuz we have a manufactured home. It was built in 2008, and if we had to reinforce the floor there’s room to get under there and do it. Baby steps I guess lol.

Best reef aquarium LED lighting
OP
Inkgirl

Inkgirl

View Badges
Reaction score
Got everything beside the sump sitting and ready to hopefully get together next weekend. 1 box of rocks and a valve on the way, and picking up sand Sunday.

Mastiffsrule

King of the run on sentences and bad grammar
View Badges
Reaction score
Stopped in to check out the build. Sorry about Miss Bea. Looks like a fun build.

Like Samnaz said, broken may be a help in making for a more creative build, but broken to rubble makes for a few phone calls and a speedy replacement. I guess depends on how bad broken. Look forward to the progress.

What is a good measure of success in this hobby? Choose all that apply!

• Tank Grown Coral Colonies

Votes: 135 73.0%
  • Colorful Corals

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • In Tank Coral Reproducing

Votes: 89 48.1%
  • Coraline Algae

Votes: 84 45.4%
  • Established Tank Time

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • Healthy Fish

Votes: 124 67.0%