Status
Not open for further replies.

Reef Tanker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing a 40 Breeder too, like half the people out there lol. I better start a build thread.
image.jpg

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope things turn around for you. Now that it's been setup for awhile, would you have changed any equipment or done something different? Im still gathering things for my 40 breeder build and trying to learn :)

Jasper05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think for sure I would have gotten some good quality live rock to seed my system, as I used nothing but the Caribsea shapes.
I do love my SICCE return pump, but kind of wished I had gone Ecotech because of the battery backups available.

The Nero5’s have been great, other then i wasn’t able to get them to link up. I am still deciding if I like the AI prime 16HD’s, trying to create schedules I like has been challenging and not not super happy with how it looks as of right now.

I let the tank cycle for quite a while, but I honestly wish I had let the tank mature more before adding anything.

I’m using the kessil fuge light, and it seems to be ok, but my chaeto isn’t very happy but I can’t give an honest opinion yet on that as I’m in this horrible algae stage.

I should have set up a QT tank for corals so I could have saved the couple that didn’t make it through blackout and trying to chase the algae with different products.

I’m having issues with my ATO which I need to send to the company to have them check, but I wished I had not gone with the XP ultimate and just got a tunze instead at the same price point.

I love my sump (trigger 26 emerald) but wish I had been able to have a larger one, but my stand is just a basic metal stand for a 40 breeder.

I used one of those DIY kits to make a lid, and it is annoying and I think the cut metal is contaminating my tank, but I have a clearview lid on order if it ever gets here lol! (After writing that I just checked my email and it shipped yesterday!!)

I would definitely hold off on easy LPS until the tank was more mature, and stick with just a couple easy softies. My utter chaos, warlock, and random zoa tile frag are taking off like crazy, and my friend who owns an LFS gave me some sort of mushroom that is doing awesome.

I guess like any other reefer, i have my regrets, and I won’t ever be satisfied, cuz I feel like I should have done better, but we don’t learn until we get our feet (hands) wet.
Thank you for the well thought out response! I too was planning all dry rock, but I've read more negative experiences about that. My issue is I dont know the minimum percentage of live rock would be beneficial and if there are any retailers that sell live rock with a lesser chance of unwanted pests - thats my big concern. How long did you cycle before you added anything?

I was leaning towards the primes as well. Not sure what else I would consider

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really want to upgrade that 36 gallon tank to a water box or Red Sea.... it never ends... lol!

Ahhhh welcome to Reefing, the urge to upgrade honestly will never go away. Any recent pictures? Hair algae is usually pretty easy to tackle, what's your clean up crew look like?

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of CUC do you have right now? And what have you ordered? GHA is something that few things seem to go after. And most won't touch it when it's super long like that. The Hydrogen peroxide is a good start that should definitely knock it back. Any tank parameters lately??

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a good assortment of these, plus I have some turbos and emerald crabs.

Turbos Turbos Turbos!!! Basically the workhorse of any CUC. The more the merrier I find and they typically love GHA. Not super long however so it needs to be cut back quite a bit. But once it is the turbos should be able to keep it down.

Last test obviously showed nitrates and Phos at 0 which I know is a lie lol

Lol, not a lie atall. Your water doesn't have much of either because the Algae is gobbling it up. Looking at your lighting it does seem to be on the whiter side as opposed to bluer which can fuel hair algae. Can you share your light schedule with us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 133 59.9%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 79 35.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.6%
  • Other

Votes: 63 28.4%
Back