Starting over after Ike

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just starting a thread to document the rebuilding process for my aquarium. I don't know if there are many Houston/Galveston folks around R2R, but this thread is partially for them as well (see bottom).

I haven't been lurking here in awhile for good reason. Ike knocked out power for 4 days, and my nano is a goner. Luckily, we had no damage to the house except for the water that came into an upstairs bedroom through some old window jams and 15 ft of leaning fence that needs repair/replacement. Many people just a couple minutes down the street have it much worse and still lack electricity. Thankfully, I've seen the electric company hard at work every time I get in the car, even seeing utility trucks coming from as far as Illinois. Now that's pretty decent.

Thank God that my internet and cable TV came back today. The first thing I caught up on was some photography stuff, then the result of the Ohio State-USC game a couple Saturdays ago (Yeah, I've been THAT out of touch). Then I watched the USC-Oregon State game. :)

Where my aquarium stands now. I've got a couple paly frags that might make it, but only 1 or 2 of my acan and micromussa frags are still alive. They're in a little plastic tub with a 70MH and a MiniJet for flow. This is basically a clean slate for me. At least that stupid peanut worm died too.

My ReefKeeper Elite and probes came in yesterday. I've had a Vortech MP20 and MP40W that I've been itching for a couple months to use, and there's also an Elos Mini on its way soon (hopefully no more delays). Pictures and details will follow as the aquarium is put together, but nothing really worth photographing right now. I'm thinking barebottom and stocked with a few softies, a couple SPS, and mostly LPS for this tank.

This thread probably won't get many interesting updates for awhile, but at least it's here for others who are going through a similar experience. Losing something to a natural disaster is tough, but maybe seeing other people in the rebuilding phase can be encouraging for someone out there. Again, I'm very lucky to not have to deal with some of the things that others are going through right now. I'm wishing them the best.

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your losses from Ike. Sounds like the next tank will be awesome and look forward to your updates in the future.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back