Starting over

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, due to an outbreak of brook and velvet, it looks like a restart on our 40 gallon mixed reef will take place after the fallow period expires in a month or so.

Here's the livestock fish we're thinking of:

1 sixline wrasse
1 watchman goby with pistol shrimp
A pair of clownfish
Perhaps 3 azure or yellowtail damsels, or maybe just 1

Your thoughts please

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear - I just had a brook outbreak take out all but 4 of my fish in my 75 gallon a few weeks ago. I know how much it sucks.

I like that list, though I haven't ever had a 6 line wrasse. From the amount of stories I've heard about it being pretty 50/50 on whether they'll be a terror, I personally would probably consider something more likely to be peaceful like a possum wrasse.

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear - I just had a brook outbreak take out all but 4 of my fish in my 75 gallon a few weeks ago. I know how much it sucks.

I like that list, though I haven't ever had a 6 line wrasse. From the amount of stories I've heard about it being pretty 50/50 on whether they'll be a terror, I personally would probably consider something more likely to be peaceful like a possum wrasse.
The sixline wrasse is 1 of our 2 survivors, the other being the watchman goby, this wrasse has behaved pretty well during the 6 months we've had it.
Whoah, thinking of them, we got them at the same time from the same place. Ha, just thought of that now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well, due to an outbreak of brook and velvet, it looks like a restart on our 40 gallon mixed reef will take place after the fallow period expires in a month or so.

Here's the livestock fish we're thinking of:

1 sixline wrasse
1 watchman goby with pistol shrimp
A pair of clownfish
Perhaps 3 azure or yellowtail damsels, or maybe just 1

Your thoughts please
Make 6 line wrasse the last to be added. Mine is a model citizen but was last at the time.
Having had velvet, start with new sand such as carib sea aragalive and cycle well:
Typically you want to add your bacteria and then ammonia chloride or a piece of shrimp (shrimp for 48 hours). Then you want to monitor ammonia , When your ammonia is steady for 5 days and Nitrate is steady at 20 or below- You are cycled. Ignore nitrIte Unless sky high
The tank will go through two phases in which ammonia will rise then fall and nitrate will rise and fall which is normal. When fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.
Overloading tank with too many fish up front will exceed what the bacteria can handle which is why its best to stock fish slowly over the next few months so that the bacterial levels can adapt to the new loads

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make 6 line wrasse the last to be added. Mine is a model citizen but was last at the time.
Having had velvet, start with new sand such as carib sea aragalive and cycle well:
Typically you want to add your bacteria and then ammonia chloride or a piece of shrimp (shrimp for 48 hours). Then you want to monitor ammonia , When your ammonia is steady for 5 days and Nitrate is steady at 20 or below- You are cycled. Ignore nitrIte Unless sky high
The tank will go through two phases in which ammonia will rise then fall and nitrate will rise and fall which is normal. When fish are added, the bacteria population will increase with the new bio load, converting waste to nitrate.
Overloading tank with too many fish up front will exceed what the bacteria can handle which is why its best to stock fish slowly over the next few months so that the bacterial levels can adapt to the new loads
Thanks for the advice I appreciate it, it's been a stressful past month, I'm taking this as starting a new reef tank but with extra measures

Sink_or_Swim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sixline wrasse is 1 of our 2 survivors, the other being the watchman goby, this wrasse has behaved pretty well during the 6 months we've had it.
Whoah, thinking of them, we got them at the same time from the same place. Ha, just thought of that now.
Oooh ok gotcha. Didn't realize you had a couple survivors - that's great! And good that you have a chill six line, lol. Interesting coincidence that you got the surviving fish together! In that case, my only advice is add the damsels (or single damsel) last. :)

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooh ok gotcha. Didn't realize you had a couple survivors - that's great! And good that you have a chill six line, lol. Interesting coincidence that you got the surviving fish together! In that case, my only advice is add the damsels (or single damsel) last. :)
Sorry I didn't communicate the survivors, was distracted. but yea, will take the advice with the damsel(s)

I hope your reboot of your 75 gal. goes well & good fortune!

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on the restart stocking ideas for the 40 gallon breeder mixed reef:

We have already:
Sixline Wrasse
Yellow Watchman Goby/Pistol Shrimp pair

Is it possible to add (slowly) these fishes:
Mandarin Goby
Royal Gramma
Bristletooth Tang (one of the smaller ones)

And perhaps another smaller (max 3inch) fish

Any other options or ideas? We don't want many fishes, maybe 6, 7 at the max total

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are those new fish pre quarantined or are you going to quarantine/observe them

OP
OP
J

justrock79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone prefer the Orchid Dottyback or Royal Dottyback over the Royal Gramma?

I'm just looking for colorful ideas

Back