Starting to hate my Royal Gramma

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I‘ve had a royal gramma for about year in my 32g with 2 other fish. He started off fairly peaceful. Recently he has become an a$$hole. He leaves my clown alone but tries to lip lock with my watchmen goby. I recently added long tail wrasse and he nips and chases him around constantly. Feel like I need to get him out of the tank before he kills the wrasse. I had no idea RG could be so aggressive. Any thoughts or suggestions?

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are known to be very territorial once established. You can try changing your rockscape...

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove him. You've got a semi-aggressive fish in a tiny volume of water. I'm surprised the clown is tolerating anything else in the tank.

OP
OP
kpoj9

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never seen clown and RG have any issues. Maybe b/c I started the tank with the clown and added the RG afterwards.

OP
OP
kpoj9

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RG is out of the my 32. Have him in a QT while I decide what do with him. Getting ready to setup a RS XL 200. So maybe he goes there. not sure. He’s a beautiful fish so I hate to give him away. what fish are compatible with a semi aggressive fish?

DrakeEnglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ones I’ve had have been absolute terrors and will never go down that road again. The last one I had progressed from being territorial and opening it’s mouth to anything near its cave to eventually chasing everyone down in the tank and tackling them into rocks. Demonic thing was impossible to catch and only got him out by pulling the entire large rock out of the tank and still had to dig him out with a pair of hemostats. Had him with clowns and a cardinalfish and he went back to the fish store. Tank has been so much better without that fish

jtf74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had a problem with one. Mine has always been peaceful and its quite large for a gramma. You sure you don't have a bicolor pseudochromis instead?

Ajayabb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we sure this is a RG and not a Royal Dottyback. They can be confused sometimes. Dottybacks are notoriously aggressive and territorial

DrakeEnglish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both of the demons I had definitely were
18537AD4-8F15-442A-A0EB-6086B31940E3.jpeg

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the 53 ...sad to say mine had to live out 5 years in a 10gallon(two color dottyback)..Either fish, if he's desided to Be a terror u might not get crazy to calm down.

OP
OP
kpoj9

kpoj9

Reefin’ Ain’t Eazy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we sure this is a RG and not a Royal Dottyback. They can be confused sometimes. Dottybacks are notoriously aggressive and territorial
yes - 100% sure I have a RG. He’s currently doing great in my QT tank. Still deciding what to do with him.

Stodge12001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to add a small mimic tang to my tank, the Royal Gramma went after him nipped him multipe time over 6 hours, removed the tang and put him in my sump whilst i try to catch the RG. He been in the sump now 3 days, and had 0 success catching the RG, i am concerned about my skimmer been off for so long

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back