Starting Triton Method on existing aquarium

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Iam_Mitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125g aquarium with 40g sump, just under 10% refugium with a Kessil H160 light.. Started with Triton with excellent Chaeto growth, switched about 6 months in to a regular 2 part. Aquarium is about a year old now and thinking about switching back to Triton. Coral growth is excellent but enjoy the idea and methodology behind the Triton method. If I switch back to Triton what is the best way to ensure everything stays happy and healthy?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with dosing two-part, so I'm not sure what goes into it. I would venture to guess that slowing reducing two part while slowly introducing Core-7 may be a good way to do it. Maybe @Julian@Triton can help point you in the right direction.

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm intrasted to see this, I my self will watch the response to this thread, I have done the triton method in the past on a reef tank that was 2 years old, and ran it for a year , good results but I prefer water changes and 2 part dosing, with additional mag dosing, also started a mineral and metal supplement on that tank to play with coloration, potassium was one that I played with for intense blues on corals

OP
OP
Iam_Mitch

Iam_Mitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm intrasted to see this, I my self will watch the response to this thread, I have done the triton method in the past on a reef tank that was 2 years old, and ran it for a year , good results but I prefer water changes and 2 part dosing, with additional mag dosing, also started a mineral and metal supplement on that tank to play with coloration, potassium was one that I played with for intense blues on corals

I am currently doing something similar - BRS 2-Part + Mag. Dosing KZ coral supplements. I liked the control I had in the beginning dosing specific elements. Have not done a water change in 5 weeks. Battling low nitrates and phosphates. Chaeto is not growing, not dying either. Just staying where its at for the last few months possibly due to low nutrients. It was growing like crazy with the Triton method. Likely going to switch back to it since I enjoyed it when I first started the tank. Have a mixed reef, not too many corals right now so figured it would be best to pull the trigger and switch back to Triton before adding any more coral. Looking forward to hearing @Julian@Triton response to how to ease in to the transition or just do it and monitor parameters closely.

BigKid4788

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I first started Triton I was dosing 2 part. I switched totally over to Triton with no adverse reactions. I would test Alk daily to ensure no sudden changes.

Julian@Triton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with dosing two-part, so I'm not sure what goes into it. I would venture to guess that slowing reducing two part while slowly introducing Core-7 may be a good way to do it. Maybe @Julian@Triton can help point you in the right direction.

I know of many customers that have successfully switched straight across to the starting does of TRITON Core7 monitoring their Alkalinity closely to dial in the dose rate for their specific needs.

2ml/100L/day

We recommend that you maintain your Alkalinity stable between 7 - 8 dKH.

If you start with this dose rate and your alkalinity starts to drop then increase the dose rate. If your alkalinity starts to rise then decrease the dose rate.

jstncoffman

Nothing happens overnight in this hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know of many customers that have successfully switched straight across to the starting does of TRITON Core7 monitoring their Alkalinity closely to dial in the dose rate for their specific needs.

2ml/100L/day

We recommend that you maintain your Alkalinity stable between 7 - 8 dKH.

If you start with this dose rate and your alkalinity starts to drop then increase the dose rate. If your alkalinity starts to rise then decrease the dose rate.
I have a question, at the alk being 7 to 8 would a alk rate of day 9 keep a more stable system, i have been thinking also to switch over on my newest aquarium, its 6 months old and total of 45gallons of water, I have only had 120+ gallons of aquariums in the past , as we all know things happen fast in smaller bodies of water

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back