Starting up a 120gallon

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's a pretty dumb question - I have a 120 gallon aquarium I'm starting up. I'd like to get the cycle moving along as I get all the equipment and hardware together, but obviously that volume of water is going to be a bit of a pain to acquire. I could call my mom and pop LFS or try to make enough mix myself, but to be honest I'm a little terrified of what my water bill would be and I don't know how long it would take my LFS to get me that volume of water (assuming they even transport that much)! Can I just run my garden hose into the house, fill the tank, maybe run a few HOB filters with carbon and GFO to remove nitrates/phosphates/chlorine and then just mix the salt directly in the tank? Does anyone have any experience with setting up large volume tanks they can share?

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on keeping corals?

I would highly recommend getting an RODI system, so you can make your own water. Most people in the hobby use them, especially with larger tanks.

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on keeping corals?

I would highly recommend getting an RODI system, so you can make your own water. Most people in the hobby use them, especially with larger tanks.
I have an RO/DI system and I make my own water for my other 20 gallon tank. It's more about the waste/DI water ratio, since I'd probably be pumping out 250 gallons of waste for every 100 gallons of DI water (if I'm lucky), and I pay for water where I live.

Ian Baxter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my 120. I took the garden hose route and added Aqua Safe Plus to treat the water. Then I mixed the salt. Super easy, but use less salt. It’s easier to add more than taking it out. Transporting that amount of water is too heavy. I also have a RODI system, but haven’t set it up yet.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an RO/DI system and I make my own water for my other 20 gallon tank. It's more about the waste/DI water ratio, since I'd probably be pumping out 250 gallons of waste for every 100 gallons of DI water (if I'm lucky), and I pay for water where I live.

I am not sure what your rates are but in most areas you will pay much less making your own rodi than buying it from the LFS.

Think about it like this. The LFS is on municipal water like you, and is paying around the same rate. They make their own RODI but need to charge extra for their overhead.

I just can't imagine a situation where making your own RODI (especially since you have a unit already) is more expensive than buying from the LFS.

If I am missing something, let me know.

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For water changes and ATO in my 20 gallon, it wasn't terrible. Probably an extra $15 per month, but I'm probably making 5-7 gallons of RO/DI a week? The LFS would be much more expensive I'm sure - just the cost per gallon that they charge alone, I'm guessing $180. But, they would have to transport it and lug it in, which adds to the cost. If I can avoid monitoring the crap out of my RO/DI system and lifting all that water I'd love to, if I can avoid sending my tank into a nitrate/phosphate spiral. Hence wondering if it might just be easier to run the hose and then run HOB filters for the tank for a month or so and monitor my water parameters to filter out unwanted minerals.

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a hobby about keeping water, starting with the best water is always advised. Can you start with tap water? Sure. Is it the best option? No.

There are potential contaminates in tap water that carbon won't remove. I would personally use the RODI system to fill the tank. You have it on hand. It will just take a bit of extra work and time.

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a hobby about keeping water, starting with the best water is always advised. Can you start with tap water? Sure. Is it the best option? No.

There are potential contaminates in tap water that carbon won't remove. I would personally use the RODI system to fill the tank. You have it on hand. It will just take a bit of extra work and time.
Good to know. Thanks!

TinyTinCans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an idea for you. Call a drinking water company like Culligan (if there is one around) or some other break room water cooler company most of them produce RO and DI water. See if you can work something out with them. When I started up my 75 I just bought all the water from them.It is around $1.00 a gallon delivered where I’m at. I’m not sure what it will run you at first but just an idea.

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an idea for you. Call a drinking water company like Culligan (if there is one around) or some other break room water cooler company most of them produce RO and DI water. See if you can work something out with them. When I started up my 75 I just bought all the water from them.It is around $1.00 a gallon delivered where I’m at. I’m not sure what it will run you at first but just an idea.
That's an awesome idea! I never would have thought about that. We definitely have culligans in our area, so that's worth checking out.

TinyTinCans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently preparing to setup a 150 and that is my plan. I don’t have an RO/DI so I’m planning on just using there water an containers then just putting my ATO line inside there bottles and using their water it as my ATO.

Just explain to the that it will just be a one time use and you would just be dumping the containers as soon as they are delivered and then right back on the truck. That way you might be able to avoid the bottle deposit. Either way I guess the deposit is refundable. Good luck.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off there seems to be one important question not asked.
What is the plan for the tank?
we have to assume it to be a reef as this is Reef2Reef but....

Secondly this may seem a bit curt but if water cost is that much of a concern to you, then maybe this is not the right hobby, or at least not the right size tank for you. The salt mix alone will be pricey well above the cost of the water.

If you want the absolute cheapest route possible then your own RO/DI unit will be the way.
Yes its an out of pocket expense at first but over time it will pay for itself ten fold.
Any other water source via LFS or water service will be double the cost per gallon.

When it comes to water or utilities in general there are price tiers.
A business or industry will always pay higher rates for all utilities used.
Domestic utilities for residents are always the lowest rates. That's a fact.

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
JMHO if you are worried about cost of water you may want to downsize now before you fill it[emoji16]
LOL pumping out 100 or so gallons of water + waste at once is a lot worse than the 25-30 or so I week I'll need going forward!

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the plan for the tank?
we have to assume it to be a reef as this is Reef2Reef but....
Not necessarily going to be a reef. I'm currently planning on a FOWLR but I may consider a reef since there's a lot of corals I want to keep that I can't support in a 20gal. Also, I've always wanted a lot of fish that 1. are not reef safe and 2. require FAR more than 20gal to survive. I haven't made up my mind, hence looking to get the cycle going while I think it through.

Secondly this may seem a bit curt but if water cost is that much of a concern to you, then maybe this is not the right hobby, or at least not the right size tank for you. The salt mix alone will be pricey well above the cost of the water.
I can assure you cost is not the issue - I am simply exploring the most economical way of approaching a problem. No sense in lighting money on fire if there's a better/more practical solution.

If you want the absolute cheapest route possible then your own RO/DI unit will be the way.
Yes its an out of pocket expense at first but over time it will pay for itself ten fold.
I already own an RO/DI system. And yes, it did pay for itself in...a month? Maybe 2? The cost of RO/DI at my LFS (or pre-mix) is absurd. One reason I considered the hose is that I have back issues and lifting 100+ gallons of water in one sitting is gonna be a bad time lol.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would calculate the real tank volume so you know how much your actually talking about.
The math is easy...
In inches
INTERIOR length X INTERIOR width X INTERIOR height = ? then that number divided by 231 will tell you the real tanks volume in gallons.

My tank is called a 180G by the MFG. HUGE LIE.
The actual interior dimensions are 71L by 21W by 21.5H (the water level will actually sit at 20 inches) if you calculate at the water level correctly as you should that's 71X21X20 = 29,820 divided by 231 and it actually will hold 129.09 gallons of water.
Far cry from the assumed 180.

You may find that your 120G is actually around 98 gallons.
Then you have to subtract the volume of rock sand and everything else you put in the tank.
It is possible you may wind up with a tank that only has an actual gallonage of around 80G

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no way to just raise the collection cup on my skimmer without raising the whole skimmer up. I built a homemade skimmer stand that I can possibly adjust.

In terms of phosphates the only thing I have on hand is rowaphos. But my Ifs said to do small weekly water changes until it comes down. However I did not mention that I have rowaphos.

Not necessarily going to be a reef. I'm currently planning on a FOWLR but I may consider a reef since there's a lot of corals I want to keep that I can't support in a 20gal. Also, I've always wanted a lot of fish that 1. are not reef safe and 2. require FAR more than 20gal to survive. I haven't made up my mind, hence looking to get the cycle going while I think it through.

I can assure you cost is not the issue - I am simply exploring the most economical way of approaching a problem. No sense in lighting money on fire if there's a better/more practical solution.

I already own an RO/DI system. And yes, it did pay for itself in...a month? Maybe 2? The cost of RO/DI at my LFS (or pre-mix) is absurd. One reason I considered the hose is that I have back issues and lifting 100+ gallons of water in one sitting is gonna be a bad time lol.

I would make the RODI and then pump it into the tank in small batches.

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would calculate the real tank volume so you know how much your actually talking about.
The math is easy...
In inches
INTERIOR length X INTERIOR width X INTERIOR height = ? then that number divided by 231 will tell you the real tanks volume in gallons.

My tank is called a 180G by the MFG. HUGE LIE.
The actual interior dimensions are 71L by 21W by 21.5H (the water level will actually sit at 20 inches) if you calculate at the water level correctly as you should that's 71X21X20 = 29,820 divided by 231 and it actually will hold 129.09 gallons of water.
Far cry from the assumed 180.

You may find that your 120G is actually around 98 gallons.
Then you have to subtract the volume of rock sand and everything else you put in the tank.
It is possible you may wind up with a tank that only has an actual gallonage of around 80G

I already did the math on the volume based on tank dimensions. I made a generic/estimated statement previously because I have yet to lay the sandbed and live rock so the water volume that I actually require will vary (unless I decide not to factor in displacement and flood my entryway, lol). Even 80 gallons is still going to be a bad time when it comes to lifting lol.

OP
OP
RobberyinCSharp1824

RobberyinCSharp1824

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make the RODI and then pump it into the tank in small batches.
Yeah, I agree. I thought about maybe batching it out over the course of a few weeks. There's still so much equipment to research, review and buy, that this tank is gonna be a marathon rather than a sprint.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 15 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 34 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 127 66.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.1%
Back