Edit:

Used spray paint in the end. Plasti Dip

Last edited:

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your build looks great so far! I just set my 40B up at the end of September. Here's a few things to note.

1. I have 2 2nd gen prime hds on a 20L and can tell you right now that you'll want 2 as soon as you can swing it. 36" is a lot of length to cover and will leave your sides very dark.

2. My recommendation is either the wrasse or the mandarin dragonett, not both. The wrasse will out compete the mandarin every time for pods.

3. You can have a bristletooth tang (yellow eye kole or tomini to name a couple choices) provided a few caveats. First, they have to be a juvenile. Second, you have to have a plan on what to do when they reach full size; either rehoming it or upgrading to a larger tank. Lastly, they are algae eating machines which means they are crazy pooping machines so you will need a good skimmer and healthy refugium.

I have a yellow eye kole and melanarus wrasse in my 40b, but they are both juveniles and I'm planing a 120 gallon build for them next year. Managing nitrates from these two fish alone in my 40 is a challenge and you don't want to jump in to advanced techniques until you have a bit of experience.

Lastly, here's a picture of my tank to show its possible, but probably more work than its worth. Please forgive the dirty glass, I just got home from work lol
20200610_191621.jpg

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your build looks great so far! I just set my 40B up at the end of September. Here's a few things to note.

1. I have 2 2nd gen prime hds on a 20L and can tell you right now that you'll want 2 as soon as you can swing it. 36" is a lot of length to cover and will leave your sides very dark.

2. My recommendation is either the wrasse or the mandarin dragonett, not both. The wrasse will out compete the mandarin every time for pods.

3. You can have a bristletooth tang (yellow eye kole or tomini to name a couple choices) provided a few caveats. First, they have to be a juvenile. Second, you have to have a plan on what to do when they reach full size; either rehoming it or upgrading to a larger tank. Lastly, they are algae eating machines which means they are crazy pooping machines so you will need a good skimmer and healthy refugium.

I have a yellow eye kole and melanarus wrasse in my 40b, but they are both juveniles and I'm planing a 120 gallon build for them next year. Managing nitrates from these two fish alone in my 40 is a challenge and you don't want to jump in to advanced techniques until you have a bit of experience.

Lastly, here's a picture of my tank to show its possible, but probably more work than its worth. Please forgive the dirty glass, I just got home from work lol
20200610_191621.jpg

Your tank looks good. Thank you for the advise.
So for now, I do have a bit of time until the tank will have any inhabitants. Cycling and waiting on a new 20g long. So the lights can wait. I do plan as soon I have corals, to have 2 AI Prime HD.
Maybe someone will partways with them with decent price. I am running tight on this month budget already.

No wrasse then. Cause I really want that mandarin. Because of this, I was thinking of getting algarbarn refugium starter pack. But with waiting for a new sump tank. I dont think I can get that for now

Unfortunately, I do not have any plan for a bigger tank. I was thinking 120g before. But for now... Nothing bigger than this 40B.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks good. Thank you for the advise.
So for now, I do have a bit of time until the tank will have any inhabitants. Cycling and waiting on a new 20g long. So the lights can wait. I do plan as soon I have corals, to have 2 AI Prime HD.
Maybe someone will partways with them with decent price. I am running tight on this month budget already.

No wrasse then. Cause I really want that mandarin. Because of this, I was thinking of getting algarbarn refugium starter pack. But with waiting for a new sump tank. I dont think I can get that for now

Unfortunately, I do not have any plan for a bigger tank. I was thinking 120g before. But for now... Nothing bigger than this 40B.

Sounds like a good plan and thanks! The 40B is a very flexible tank and you can do a lot with them. I'm looking forward to seeing how yours turns out!

gabrieltackitt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gabrieltackitt
Hey Gabriel, on your build, do you happen to know how long of pvc pipe did you use?
I am asking because I'm thinking of getting the colored PVC pipes
I finally had time to measure, PVC alone I think I have just under 8 ft of pipe, but I used probably 15 by the time I got everything fitting correctly.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally had time to measure, PVC alone I think I have just under 8 ft of pipe, but I used probably 15 by the time I got everything fitting correctly.

Thank you Gabriel. I bought the pipes. I might need more though. 8 feet of 1inch schedule 40 and 4 feet of 3/4 schedule 40. I think i got it backwards. So I will need more pipes

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And . Somehow I got another UPS package
IMG_20200611_182703.jpg

The problem is... I ordered a refractometer last thursday and still hasnt arrived yet... Amazon/UPS problem.. seller is just an hour away from me too.

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15919625173475117590719881060637.jpg
Swing by lowes to get pvc cement&primer. Got this one too.. not matte black though. So I am skeptical if I want to use this for the background

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20200612_182628.jpg

Move the tank to the garage for measurement and water test after the plumbing done... Unfortunately still waiting for fittings.

PS: disregard the background please

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally got pump and refractometer
IMG_20200616_122145.jpg

Hopefully by this weekend I can do water test

OP
OP
Philly Reefer

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well... Didnt really do much since last update. Too busy with life.
But at least I managed to cut the boards for the front cover. Just need to prime and paint it black.
IMG_20200622_085418.jpg

PS: that zip ties are just temp. To measure out how long 1x2 I need

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 72 38.1%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back