Starving sailfin tang, impulse buy, no judgement.

Stephen8169301

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I rescued two fish that were bad. A raccoon butterfly that was covered in Ich and a blue tang that had fin rot and HELLE. Both I got for there cost $10/$20 the Butterfly made a great recovery and I adopted him out. The blue tang is still with us but has some scaring. But I created a relationship with the ppl. that could do that. Most employees can't do that, they are just wheels in a cog.
dang crazy whenever I go to my local I see fish there that look like butt and I always wondered if they would bring down price guess it never hurts to ask

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No we don't just "feed well" up here lol. You can legally import most fish medications for personal use in Canada. It's only buying from companies here or importing for commercial use that may get you in trouble. There is also tank transfer method and treatments with hydrogen peroxide. We do the exact same thing as the states it just costs a lot more.
You can import anything, but I think there are good reasons this country controls certain meds, importing simply gets around this control.

I’m concerned of the potential of long term effects and in many cases, are totally unnecessary IMM, whereas providing great nutrition in combination with a solid, low stress environment has proved in a least for me, very successful.

Perhaps lucky, I have only needed to treat one fish in 30 years for ick, and this was easily defeated by hypo.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nothing shows up in QT from day 1 to day 30, can’t see the fish infecting the DT this far down the road, assuming the DT is not infected already.
I guess some are getting a lot of infected fish.
Iam not sure what’s in some meds, exactly how they work, and what, if any long term issues can arise, except for copper which can be hard on especially tangs if dose is not right on par, and kill quickly over par.
I not advocating NOT using medications, just potentially the overuse, and used by a professional, which I am far from.
That’s how opioids became a big problem.

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If nothing shows up in QT from day 1 to day 30, can’t see the fish infecting the DT this far down the road, assuming the DT is not infected already.
I guess some are getting a lot of infected fish.
Iam not sure what’s in some meds, exactly how they work, and what, if any long term issues can arise, except for copper which can be hard on especially tangs if dose is not right on par, and kill quickly over par.
I not advocating NOT using medications, just potentially the overuse, and used by a professional, which I am far from.
That’s how opioids became a big problem.
1. There are many people who do no quarantine at all on this site (or use any medications. Thus, some people get lucky. That said - there are IMHO a number of reasons that some people are able to pop a fish directly in the tank - stocking density and the source of the fish being 2 of the major issues.
2. I do not believe that copper is hard on tangs. Do you have a source on that? Of course overdosing any medication can lead to problems/death.
3. But - (no offense) - you kind of are advocating not using medications

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. There are many people who do no quarantine at all on this site (or use any medications. Thus, some people get lucky. That said - there are IMHO a number of reasons that some people are able to pop a fish directly in the tank - stocking density and the source of the fish being 2 of the major issues.
2. I do not believe that copper is hard on tangs. Do you have a source on that? Of course overdosing any medication can lead to problems/death.
3. But - (no offense) - you kind of are advocating not using medications
I do not advocate just dropping in fish, that would certainly be very risky. I am suggesting that after a month, if nothing has shown up then the risk of having (or passing) some disease has been greatly diminished.

I only use medications to treat identifiable issues and never as a just in case.

I believe strong well fed fish living in a low stress environment, creates a strong immune system whereas the fish can ward off disease on their own, without any help from me.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back