Starving sailfin tang, impulse buy, no judgement.

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we went to petco.. ended up with this potato chip of a tang, I assume the worst, parasites all that jazz. Immediately in the acclimation box he's eating metro/garlic/Spiro flakes like they're going out of style. I come from freshwater but learning ton every day. With regards these flakes are to be fed as an exclusive food for 10 days, I also know tangs need nori.. do I forgo the nori and just feed medicated flakes for 10 days? Or feed both? Obviously trying to save him. We have a 125g not set up yet but will be looking in to a 300g when we get our floors re-done, so really, I already know he needs a bigger tank, now he just needs to get healthy. 20220921_125101.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure medicated flakes will result in anything positive. Nori, mysis, spirulina brine, rods or LRS brand frozen, herbivore frozen blends would be a better choice.

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure medicated flakes will result in anything positive. Nori, mysis, spirulina brine, rods or LRS brand frozen, herbivore frozen blends would be a better choice.
I have all that, I just thought the metro for internal parasites?? I'll happily feed him all the "good stuff" if medicating isn't necessary.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all that, I just thought the metro for internal parasites?? I'll happily feed him all the "good stuff" if medicating isn't necessary.
I'm not the best on the medication stuff. I know @Jay Hemdal has said that including meds in food is very difficult. First getting the correct dose, then getting the fish to actually eat something so bitter.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it empties the nori clip, put more on it. Feed feed feed feed feed feed etc. Make sure it also gets a variety of foods, including mysis shrimp and other meaty stuff. They're not purely vegetarians. Fatten it up and then worry about medicating if needed.

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not the best on the medication stuff. I know @Jay Hemdal has said that including meds in food is very difficult. First getting the correct dose, then getting the fish to actually eat something so bitter.
The flakes are premedicated, metro/garlic/spironilla its all in 1 and he ate the heck out if as soon as I dropped it in, it's just that it's supposed to be the only food you feed for 10 days (in freshwater)

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's happily eating the medicated flakes, I would keep it up for the duration, but also as high fat and protein alternatives as well.

I would have nori available all day for it.

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it empties the nori clip, put more on it. Feed feed feed feed feed feed etc. Make sure it also gets a variety of foods, including mysis shrimp and other meaty stuff. They're not purely vegetarians. Fatten it up and then worry about medicating if needed.
Currently emptying the one I have it there.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we went to petco.. ended up with this potato chip of a tang, I assume the worst, parasites all that jazz. Immediately in the acclimation box he's eating metro/garlic/Spiro flakes like they're going out of style. I come from freshwater but learning ton every day. With regards these flakes are to be fed as an exclusive food for 10 days, I also know tangs need nori.. do I forgo the nori and just feed medicated flakes for 10 days? Or feed both? Obviously trying to save him. We have a 125g not set up yet but will be looking in to a 300g when we get our floors re-done, so really, I already know he needs a bigger tank, now he just needs to get healthy. 20220921_125101.jpg

I have never heard of a pre made medicated food that works (it sounds like something you bought, not made yourself?). I would be feeding frozen fish frenzy (LRS) - it has tons of good fatty foods in it and nori to graze on.

I think feeding an already paper thin tang flake is a bad idea. You can make your own medicated food using something much better then flake.

Skinny doesn't always mean parasites... I have seen them come in the LFS this way from wholesalers... I have fattened up my fair share of scrawny fish without medicating them. They just were not getting fed enough/right foods or were out competed or spent too much time in the supply chain.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember:
In the wild, these fish don’t have medication. They fight off disease through remaining healthy. I’ve never QTed, I’ve just kept my fish on a varied diet that gives them as much nutrients as I can get to them. This has worked for me for the past… 12-15 years in this hobby.

OP
OP
A

AngiGiles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason he is in an acclimation box? It's tank water so it might be better off with some swim room. It's eating so it will find the food. You can add medicine or vitamins to the nori. I add selcon and Zoe any time I feed it.
I just brought him home and only had an hour to observe before work, I plan to let him out tonight. Just wanted to make sure he was eating good and whatnot, no lengthy plans for the box.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Is the metro flakes a commercially prepared product? I haven't seen anything on the market like that for a few years now. Dosing is vital with oral meds - in the case of metro, it needs to be fed at 0.5% by food weight every third day for three treatments.

Jay

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So let's pretend -that a fish is starving - is that due to lack of nutrients or non-absorption of nutrients? You asked for an opinion - this fish should not be in an acclimation box - but in its own tank - where you can actually measure the amount of medication - and food it's being given. IMHO - it's likely to be a parasite - internal - with the minimal history you've given. It should probably (as should the rest of your tank that its in) - be treated for parasitic infection. Sorry - and great that you tried to save it

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Remember:
In the wild, these fish don’t have medication. They fight off disease through remaining healthy. I’ve never QTed, I’ve just kept my fish on a varied diet that gives them as much nutrients as I can get to them. This has worked for me for the past… 12-15 years in this hobby.
The issue here - is buying a 'sick fish' - which I think this one is. For example - lets pretend we are in 1700 and the mother said - well - I had 3 children - and all were ok - so - I'm just going to feed the fourth (who is not thriving) - well. It's a crazy thought - in that case and your example. Illness/disease needs to be diagnosed and treated IMHO

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Acclimation box is acceptable and safe for fish for introduction Unless you are medicating. Quarantining is your goal- seperate quarantine tank is necessary, however observation ok on acclimationbox
Nori is Not a complete meal keeping in mind these fish are herbivores and need fatty acids, aminos and vegetation.
Having 20 tangs, I feed at least:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

food1.jpg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Acclimation box is acceptable and safe for fish for introduction Unless you are medicating. If quarantining is your goal- seperate quarantine tank is necessary, however observation ok on acclimationbox
Nori is Not a complete meal keeping in mind these fish are herbivores and need fatty acids, aminos and vegetation.
Having 20 tangs, I feed at least:
-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

food1.jpg
I'm going to potentially disagree. One IMHO should not plop a fish into an acclimation box - without QT. You risk infecting your entire display and the fish is stressed to the max. On the other hand - if the OP has QT'd - with the appropriate protocol - has done this - thats a different story. Reading the OP - my impression was this was a 'potato' chip - fish - This advice you gave is IMHO completely incorrect - that fish should have been treated with 'whatever was causing the problem' - before being added to an acclimation box. Again JMHO

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm going to potentially disagree. One IMHO should not plop a fish into an acclimation box - without QT. You risk infecting your entire display and the fish is stressed to the max. On the other hand - if the OP has QT'd - with the appropriate protocol - has done this - thats a different story. Reading the OP - my impression was this was a 'potato' chip - fish - This advice you gave is IMHO completely incorrect - that fish should have been treated with 'whatever was causing the problem' - before being added to an acclimation box. Again JMHO
Been doing acclimation box for years hence the reason I have so many tangs together without wars and injury. It is effective way to get fish introduced to new arrival before release. Quarantine was recommended if you read my post.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back